Thread: My first attempt at music promo

1. Default My first attempt at music promo

This guy asked me to do a video promo for his album coming up. I never done a music promo before, so this is my first attempt at it.

Feedback would be cool, good or bad, but not about the music, editing. Thanks for your time. Also it's only 1min & 11 secs long.

I filmed everything but the club dance scenes which were lower Q. Added special effects, and time lapse to speed and slow the dance moves up.

plays up to 1080p

ANDRE B PROMO VIDEO - YouTube

Blog Entries

How did you think it turned out, and how was it received by the client?

To be honest, the opening countdown roll set the scene for the video; this is typically used on our first videos as we start to explore the world of video editing. The effects seemed to be randomly inserted, rather than adding visual impact, and there was nothing that compelled me to watch.

It may sound harsh, but I'm struggling to find a way to improve the video without filming and editing the entire video again. I suggest that you draw inspiration from other promo videos posted on vimeo.com. There are plenty. One that I can think of off the top of my head is for the correspondents. The Correspondents: An Introduction on Vimeo

How did you approach the film and edit?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post

To be honest, the opening countdown roll set the scene for the video; this is typically used on our first videos as we start to explore the world of video editing. The effects seemed to be randomly inserted, rather than adding visual impact, and there was nothing that compelled me to watch.

It may sound harsh, but I'm struggling to find a way to improve the video without filming and editing the entire video again. I suggest that you draw inspiration from other promo videos posted on vimeo.com. There are plenty. One that I can think of off the top of my head is for the correspondents. The Correspondents: An Introduction on Vimeo

Hi Marc thanks for the reply

Yeah idk he wanted a count down scene. I honestly don't have to much content to work with. So basically I had to do on what I have. I redid this video, and this is my 2nd attempt at it. He bascially told me to cut down on things. If I had more material that would be ideal. With the special effects and the time relapse, I knew I add to make it a little more interesting, specially with the dancing scenes. He is gay so I wanted him to look badass in this promo.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post

I redid it check it out.

Andre B. Music reel - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by MooseTvNow View Post
    I redid it check it out.

Andre B. Music reel - YouTube

alright, I didnt get a chance to see the first one....so I am going off of what I see here, here is a rundown of my thoughts.

the old school countdown doesnt really fly with the rest of it as its a pretty clean/newer song as well as the intro fonts are clean etc.....

intro bit with the lens flare was alright, but then you seemed to go a bit fx happy with the other shots, you are looking for some sort of consistency in the video, as of now it looks like a bunch of random clips mashed together instead of one total working project.

I have a feeling you didnt have a ton to work with as well, being as the performance shot looked like it was from a cell phone. It would easily be in that guys best interest to take a day, walk around and shoot random B roll of him strolling around a city etc.

I hope this helps,

r0k-

6. Default

I want to say that the amateurishness of the reel is a bit overwhelming. I think you could have done more with this video. Some of the fx are just drawn out way too long for me and I was waiting for some cohesiveness to happen between the lyrics and the footage. The cuts were a bit random and the effects are easily recognizable and tacky. I would agree with the first post and suggest to you to watch some other promos. Think about what your abilities are and how you can recreate some of those concepts you saw in your own way. Then go out and reshoot some of his performances on a good HD camera so you know exactly what you are working with. Finally, sit down and see how you can string all the footage together by writing it down while listening to whatever song he desires to put out. Then, explain your final concept to your client and just make it happen. I know its a tedious and rigorous task but that's what the art of editing entails. I hate to be condescending in any matter but I am just telling it how I see it. Best of luck to you, man.