Thread: Panasonic AG-HVX200

Default Panasonic AG-HVX200

Hi, buying equipment for documentary film-making shoots and saw this little Panasonic 'prosumer' camera. Got good reviews but I noticed that it said the mic (which is positioned above the lens) picks up zoom noise. I would like to get a HD camera and was looking at possibly the Z1 as an alternative (or Z5 if I can find one cheap enough). My budget is restricted to around 1,500-1,700 for the camera alone. Any suggestions on suitable kit? Praise be to anyone who can help.

I use a Panasonic HVX200 and haven't had an issue with the camera mic picking up zoom noise BUT I don't often use the no board mic. I would have thought this problem would be true of most cameras. If your serious about making a documentary firstly, you won't be using the zoom much and secondly, you won't be using the on board mic. The Z1 and Z5 are very good cameras as well.

Cheers for the quick answer. What sort of mic set up are you using and what type of filming do you do? As stated I'm looking at producing short documentary films. Liked the HVX because of the variety of frame formats and the good reviews. Also, do you have experience of using Z1/Z5? *think Z5 is out of the question unless I can find a great second-hand cam

Seen some footage from the Panasonic on Youtube and the quality looked variable...

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I use a Panasonic HVX200 and haven't had an issue with the camera mic picking up zoom noise BUT I don't often use the no board mic. I would have thought this problem would be true of most cameras. If your serious about making a documentary firstly, you won't be using the zoom much and secondly, you won't be using the on board mic. The Z1 and Z5 are very good cameras as well.

I do a general mix of subjects but hope to go in the direction indi shorts, you can have a look at my stuff on my YouTube channel, I use a sennheiser k6 me66 shotgun and a Zoom H4n for sound recording. I would only ever use the onboard mic for getting ambient room sound etc.

I've never used a Sony at all, I've always used Panasonics. I love the HVX200, the only minor issue I have with it is that the screen isn't HD which makes it a little difficult to manually focus with it but it does have a nice focus assist to compensate for this. I'm not sure you would be able to take advantage of all the features of the camera if you are making documentaries, How would the variable frame rate be of use to you or the film like gammers ? I suppose it depends on what sort of documentary you are making.

Good look with the doco's