Thread: Smoother movement with use of keyframes?

1. Default Smoother movement with use of keyframes?

For a video Im currently working on I've tried the use of keyframes but it's still too choppy.

I'm aiming for something like in the videos below where Richard Stallman (Red Polo Laptop guy) and Adrien Brody (Guy from the pianist) are moving, particuarly the Stallman movement as its very smooth, however when I try this with keyframes its very choppy, is there perhaps a tool that allows you to maybe draw like a sound wave (click here for a pic) or something similar that the image I'm attempting to use would then follow? It seems to be very difficult to get movement like the videos below smooth enough with keyframes.

(Videos referenced)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI-2F8ApUM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ_wXOFQV3M

Blog Entries

Would this be smooth enough for you? To me it looks every bit as smooth as the animation you linked to.

(Instructions following ...)

The fist clip you linked to didn't look smooth to me at all. The animation "jerked" every time he changed direction - and this was the clue.
    However the lateral movement - left to right - was constant. This is probably what you mean by smooth. And herein lies the clue.

Animate the two movements separately.

What I did was to use keyframes within pan and crop to rotate the image slightly left, then slightly right several times.
    By default this produces a sudden "jerk" every time the totation changes direction. This is because the keyframe type is set to lateral - the amount of movement is spread evenly between keyframes.
    What we want to do is change this keyframe type to "Smooth". When set thus, the amount of movement starts slowly, speeds up then slows down towards the end of teh animation.
    When we add this to the every keyframe, the following happens - (assume the character starts rotated left):
    The character starts to rotate towards the right, slowly at first then increasing in speed.
    When it has halfway completed its journey between the keyframes, is starts to slow down so that by the time it reached the next keyframe (rotated right) it has stopped.
    Now it starts up again heading for the next keyframe, slowly at first, getting faster, then slowing down again wto a stop when it reaches the next keyframe etc.

Which is exactly the sort of sinusidal movement you want.

To set the keyframes to "smooth", simply right click them and a list of different settings pops up. You will see "linear" is selected. Simply select smooth. Play wuth the other options at some time too. They all have their uses.

Having got the "swinging" motion, I simply used track motion to move the image from left to right. It would be madness to try to do this pan and crop, which is already being used for the rotation.

If you needed even more complex motion - like a further independednt up/down motion, you could make this track the child of another and apply track motion to the parent track (not sure if parent/child relationships only exist in Vegas Pro)

Hope that gets you going.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-29-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    Tim

Tim when did you take that footage of me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Tim when did you take that footage of me.
    I know you're as big a fan of using a tripod as me, but even you don't wobble quite as much as that when going hand-held
    Tim