Thread: My Neighbors Annoying Christmas Lights...

Lightbulb My Neighbors Annoying Christmas Lights...

Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 01-29-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Ha, I like over the top lights at Christmas. Loved the flame thrower. 27 mins is going to tax the most hardened fan of this sort of thing but I'm sure your neighbour will enjoy the video.

I think you did quite well with this video.

Well done.

How much did that cost

Blog Entries

And what about the carbon footprint?

Comments on the video:

Obviously you had to show the whole light show. Open to argument, but I think you should have filmed it seeral times from different angles and with close ups and cut these together to make a more varied video. The argument is, of course, that the light show itself is varied and it's prhaps more "accurate" to show it all from one angle.

I thought the intro sequence went on rather long. Not the informational bits - I'd have liked more of that. There were too many unclear shots of cars travelling by. One or two to set the scene, yes, but no more.

Otherwise I thought the captions were horrible. Nice, clear, straightforward, informational captions, such as you used should be in a nice, clear, straightforward font.

Whilst i appreciate the effort the guy puts into this and might make a trip up the road to see it, I'm glad I don't live nearby! Thanks for posting.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    27 mins is going to tax the most hardened fan of this sort of thing but I'm sure your neighbour will enjoy the video.

I think you did quite well with this video.

Well done.
    Thanks! Tax what? I'm lost haha

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    How much did that cost
    Probably way too much, he did a great job of publicly displaying how much of a life he doesn't have and that he has nothing else better to spend his money on (aka female(s) lol)

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    And what about the carbon footprint?

Comments on the video:

Obviously you had to show the whole light show. Open to argument, but I think you should have filmed it seeral times from different angles and with close ups and cut these together to make a more varied video. The argument is, of course, that the light show itself is varied and it's prhaps more "accurate" to show it all from one angle.

I thought the intro sequence went on rather long. Not the informational bits - I'd have liked more of that. There were too many unclear shots of cars travelling by. One or two to set the scene, yes, but no more.

Otherwise I thought the captions were horrible. Nice, clear, straightforward, informational captions, such as you used should be in a nice, clear, straightforward font.

Whilst i appreciate the effort the guy puts into this and might make a trip up the road to see it, I'm glad I don't live nearby! Thanks for posting.
    No your right, I should have and to argue the angle I could have used split-screen (whole/close-ups) however most my shots were ruined with people wandering into the frame, I filmed it at least 5 times to get that shot and probably 20 times for everything. Next year I will be using much more angles, blocking off his driveway for shots, RC helicopter with a GoPro, etc.

Yeah this was shot on a HDC-SD9 so it's not that clear, but I only used 2 shots of traffic for B-roll the rest was different (signs, distant, etc). So you don't hate the captions...you hate the font?
    Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 01-29-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloydEffect View Post
    So you don't hate the captions...you hate the font?
    Indeed. The font/colour/outline.
    The captions themselves are ideal for this sort of thing. Simple bullet points stating the ridiculous statistics. Makes you go "How many?", "How long?" etc
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Indeed. The font/colour/outline.
    The captions themselves are ideal for this sort of thing. Simple bullet points stating the ridiculous statistics. Makes you go "How many?", "How long?" etc
    So use bullet points, and what color scheme would you have gone with keeping contrast in mind across all clips maintaining a constant color(s)?

Blog Entries

No I don't mean use bullet points. What I mean is they are currenly acting a bullet points. And I mean this is a good thing.
    I would always go for a simple sans serif text. Probably in white. Either with a drop shadow or on top of a coloured band in the form of a lower third.
    Think of news reports.
    Tim