Thread: Image is smaller and has black frames

Default Image is smaller and has black frames

Hi all! I just got Premiere Pro 7 and it works fine except for one small detail: When I preview the video I want to use (before going to the timeline) it's ok, but when put it in the timeline the monitor shows the image very small. Also when I export it it's still small. The odd thing is that it has black frames all around, which means that though the video itself may be big, the image is small (so when I expand the window, it still has the black margins).
    As I wasn't sure if you were going to understand what was happening I exported a small video (this happens no matter if it is .avi, .mov, etc).

I'd really apreciate if anyone could give me a hand with this.

Is the actual footage you're trying to work with a standard PAL or NTSC size or is it a smaller resolution like 320 x 240?

Depending on your screen size, it's more than likely that the "monitor window" in premiere will be set to "Fit" so any small video will be blown up to fill the monitor, and larger video will shrink to fit. If you're importing say 320 x 240 imported video and previewing it then it will show up full size in the window, but when you drag it onto a timeline set for 720 x 576 then you're going to end up with a small image slap bang in the middle of the window, and a black area all around.

If you look in your Project window, if you click on your imported movie it should tell you the movie size, aspect ratio, length and fps among other information, and if you select the video file you've dragged into the timeline and then call up the "effect controls" window, you can resize the clip by selecting Motion and adjusting the scale value until the video fits the full frame.

Hope that helps

yay!! it worked!! thank you so much!!
    now... is there any way to change the size when exporting? (I saw where the options were but can't change them) I mean if I don't want it to be 720 x 576.

don't mean to sound like a twat, but do you actually have the instruction book?

Contents>
    EXPORTING

it will tell you in their better than any of us can.
    2 x 21\" HITACHI super contrast monitors.....2 x 200 gig HDD\'s....2 x 512mb dane-elec pc3200.....TV in card (cheap and sh!t!)....3.2 P4 HT....BOARD - ASUS P4C800 - C delux (fsb 800mhz DUAL DDR 400)....GRAPHICS - ATI 256ddr POWERCOLOUR Radeon 9600XT (500mhz/400mhz)....MATROX RT.X100 real time editing card