Thread: Animation, software ideas please.

Default Animation, software ideas please.

I've seen some simple animation effects produced in so-called Consumer Budget software ( Magix).

I use Vegas Studio v10, but I'm not aware this Option is available.

I'm aware that "Paint Shop Pro" has a intermediate frame-generator in "Animation Shop" - it's a bit like morphing, only it does rotary motion (think stage-coach wheels).

I looked at "Claymation" but think this is more intended to be used for filming cuddly puppets. As I see it that means I have to construct a stiff-limb puppet, which is beyond my sewing/creative abilities.

So I'm thinking that I should use own-drawn/or/clip-art objects, backgrounds etc., which could be used to create a cartoon.

Another use is to animate a storyboard.

I wonder if folk here can suggest not-too expensive software that might suit?
    Last edited by vidmanners; 01-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.

I know virtually nothing about animation. I do know the old fashioned way. Draw a picture, take a photo. Move the picture a bit, take a photo. Move it a bit more, take a photo, etc......
    When you have got billions of photos bring them in to Vegas and it will join them together to make the video.

Or are you looking for something more sophisticated.

Have you seen "Worldofwormy" animation videos posted on here?

Look for "worldofwormy" and have a look I really like them simple but effective and funny he might drop by and give some hints as to how he does animation.

Sorry I can't help

Good luck either way

Slimbob - I'll search for that, more details welcome.

Midnight Blue - yep. I know the traditional way, but they were using real artists AND I'm not, so something computer-generated is probably better as a start.

Thanks - - - - - - - any more?

Animation does appear to be an area that's not popular, I recall a program called "Toon" but this appears to substitute a Graphic Tablet for drawing the Gels - again I suspect this will be beyond my capabilities.

I have recently downloaded Toon Boon Animate Pro A try out full working version. There are a whole range of versions here you can try first. with PDF Tutorials Videos and Forums. Tried some of the others but they had spyware attached this one didn't.

I know that creating animations can be fun and the end product. Well, some I have seen short sharp and funny. But creating them! The software can do it. But can you? "I say to myself". One thing for shore you need a lot of time and patience to spend with it. That's why I am testing myself with a tryout version first.

Interestingly enough I have noticed that animations seem to be coming more common now with the with media advertizing than pure Video.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    Interestingly enough I have noticed that animations seem to be coming more common now with the with media advertizing than pure Video.
    And due to increased PC speeds and improved and cheaper software, anyone can produce short animations of the same quality. I suspect they can be potentially cheaper to produce than using standard camera/video. However, I suspect most advertisers are not pushing their animators hard enough and appear happy to have plastic looking characters and scenes with boring lighting.

When I started looking at such software, I immediately dismissed any "2d" system, and went immediately to software where objects could be moved and rotated in a 3d space. Of course, it is then possible to render the scene as a high quality image or as a cartoon or a line drawing etc.
    I found the biggest hassle, either with expensive animation systems (like Autodesk's '3d max'), or mid priced (like 'Poser') or free software (such as 'Blender'), is the learning curve. The 'time and patience' honours are for those who used to hand draw every frame. Nowadays that honour should be awarded to those who RTFM and can remember it long enough.

I am sure that animation will become more popular when budget video editing software is better at joining real and animated video, which currently only offer animated masking and dull looking 2d text based Titling.

Tim Andrews, many thanks, I agree about RTFM, only it would help if software was laid out in a logical manner - the software is often arranged quite strangely. I have considerable difficulty with DVD Architect Studio - I can burn good DVD's but I frequently don't understand how I managed it.

I like yr suggestion re 3D - the exotic programs you mention, I've seen (early versions) in Computer Arts - but I've not bought it for years - far too much aimed at those in the Arts Industry. I just want to doodle a few ideas - as they say "Content is King". I found several with 30-day Trials, but as I have limited time to play, that really isn't long enough - and if I buy the full product, then it's too much for a doodler.

Some of the Software Websites are quite unbelievable - laid out like a corner shop that just received a tim-bomb which went off the day before...
    I really wonder if they shouldn't test the website on some folks that just want to enquire?