Thread: Newbie :Lost Tape!

Question Newbie :Lost Tape!

Hi, well id like some advice on how to deal with a newbie but important trouble and its that ive lost one tape from a wedding of a client and how do you suggest me to aproach this problem and the client. id thank all advice.

It depends on what is missing. If the footage is not that crucial just edit together what you have in such a way that they won't question it. If it's got some of the important bits on it you might want to tell them the truth and offer them a discount.

Touch wood, I've never lost one, but a friend did. He went to the reception venue the morning after to search for it, spotted the groom and was just gonna apologise when the wedding coordinator handed him the missing tape.
    Be brave and go look round, beg and hound the Church/reception/DJ to see if it's been handed in. I'm sure you've searched your kit, but make sure it's not still in a cam, that's happened too.
    Failing all that, do as MB says and edit till it squeaks and can't be noticed. Hopefully youfilmed with 2 cams and can't spot the join. If not, gulp, say sorry and hope the response is kind.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

What's in your standard Ts and Cs? Is there a liability limit in your contract, and what cover does your insurance provide? Assuming you can't provide a product that's fit for purpose (for example you've lost the only footage of a key event, such as the vows), as a customer, I'd be looking to recover at least the cost of your services. Recent court cases have awarded in favour of the bride and groom, and although the damages are typically small, the cost to reputation is high. You don't want this on your CV.

Assuming be lost footage is to he detriment of the delivery, i suggest you come clean after pulling out all the stops to deliver a great product based on what you have. Work flat out to deliver a quality product before they return from honeymoon for example. Make sure you can explain why it was lost, what you'd done to mitigate the risk in the first place, and what you've done to deliver their product.

It's really down to what you've lost. If it's just filler footage, no-one needs to know. B roll footage is what it is. If it's fundamental, need to work hard to maintain your reputation.

So painful...
    Whether it's a .doc file you've been working on that is crucial to a project, when you lose important material, It hurts.

In addition to what they ^^^ have stated, If the footage is crucial, Be prepared for a mini-meltdown when client finds out.

hey THANKS for the answers and i think im gonna make the best work with the material i have,
    and what do you think if its a good idea to ask them for a guest film because i saw one guest filming the part i lost, is it a good idea?

If these (guest bits) are the only scene you've lost, you'll be fine. Yep ask for guests clips, and ask the tog for any shots of around the same time. Slot a fast action action montage together using these, add a funky track and I doubt anyone will notice.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club