Thread: Making a monologue visually interesting

Default Making a monologue visually interesting

For my AS media project, one of a few ideas was to film a monologue. Something along the lines of the trainspotting opening speech, that kind of thing.

I was wondering if any of you had any ideas on how to make a monologue visually interesting, by which i mean mainly camera angles etc. Either the person looking like they are filming it themselves, or just a normal film (But of course, the person needs a reason to be talking straight at a camera)

Any ideas?

Thanks

wouldn't that effectively be doing you AS work for you? Go and get a camera, experiment and be creative, if you are really pushed for ideas, google shot types and research it. How else are you going to learn?

Not at all. I wasn't looking for a sure fire shot to an A in a paragraph, i was just looking for a couple of ideas from anyone who may have done something like this in the past. I agree with you about experimenting, which of course we have and will continue to do, but a few additional ideas we could test out wouldn't do me any harm.

Thanks for the reply.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renavon View Post
    one of a few ideas was to film a monologue.
    Any ideas?
    I think you've chosen a tough one. For this to work the visuals have to be not only interesting, but they must add something to the piece that you wouldn't get from the sound alone.
    If you're going to concentrate on the speaker, then they need to be a very good actor as they will need to hold the viewers attention.
    There are ways, cutaways and extreme close-ups - eyes, mouth, hands fidgetting that kind of thing - but again I say they have to add something.

Otherwise it'd better off as a radio play.

(Sorry - a bugbear of mine - I see so many amateur "dramas" which are simply delivering lines where the visuals add nothing at all)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think you've chosen a tough one. For this to work the visuals have to be not only interesting, but they must add something to the piece that you wouldn't get from the sound alone.
    If you're going to concentrate on the speaker, then they need to be a very good actor as they will need to hold the viewers attention.
    There are ways, cutaways and extreme close-ups - eyes, mouth, hands fidgetting that kind of thing - but again I say they have to add something.

Otherwise it'd better off as a radio play.

(Sorry - a bugbear of mine - I see so many amateur "dramas" which are simply delivering lines where the visuals add nothing at all)
    Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. Yeh, luckily I've got a few talented mates to help me. Yeh, if it is about drugs then obviously there would be a lot of focus on small things like fidgeting etc, just getting a few ideas at the moment. Thanks again for the reply
    -Rob