Thread: Camera Advice

Default Camera Advice

We are looking to buy a new profession camera instead of the Sony handycam we have.
    The only professional camera i have used is a Sony Ex1 and i love it. Nice size, easy to use and everything you could want.... But my boss has only given me a budget of 1000 for a camera and i have no idea what to go for. Any ideas?

Requirements:

HD
    Memory Cards and or hardrive
    External Mic
    Easy to use/setup

Thanks all

I bought a nice semi-pro camera a few years ago, it's very nice but doesn't produce any better image than the new cameras will do now, for a third of the price. So make up your mind if you want a camera that looks the part or that will do the job you need of it. Also what sort of videos are you making ? If you get something like the Panasonic TM900 or the Sony or Canon equivalent. You will get a nice camera that in the right hands will produce nice video AND leave you change to buy microphone, tripod etc....

Unless your budget is going to be lots higher you will have to get a consumer level camera BUT like I said in the right hands will produce very nice videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I bought a nice semi-pro camera a few years ago, it's very nice but doesn't produce any better image than the new cameras will do now, for a third of the price. So make up your mind if you want a camera that looks the part or that will do the job you need of it. Also what sort of videos are you making ? If you get something like the Panasonic TM900 or the Sony or Canon equivalent. You will get a nice camera that in the right hands will produce nice video AND leave you change to buy microphone, tripod etc....

Unless your budget is going to be lots higher you will have to get a consumer level camera BUT like I said in the right hands will produce very nice videos.
    Thanks well i work for FreeOnlineGames.com and it is to produce some promotion videos. Mainly used for green screen.

I don't care about looking the part as long as the image quality is good (HD Sony handycam is terrible) and i can use external mic as the sound is also crap lol

When you are doing a green screen shoot it's more about the lighting and the way you use the camera than it is what camera you use. If your company won't pay for a professional to do it's video work then the results will often reflect this. Yes, having a camera that will produce 4:4:4 colour subsampling will be better than a consumer camera that will only give you 4:0:0 but 10 x your budget to get a equipment like that. Also the skill of the editor to do the chroma keying etc. will all make a difference. There are also things like is it best to use a green or blue screen, does the talent have blond hair, plus a list of other things above my experience like mic choice and placement.

Like everything in life you often only get what you pay for.

Well i am the camera man, editor and actor lol.
    But to be fair i do have a degree in video and new media and a fair bit of green screen experience but always done with profession equipment.
    I'm looking at the
    Canon Legria HF G10
    What do you think? Comes in just on budget.

I've never used it but it seemed to get good reviews when it came out. Do you already have a good mic, tripod, lights ect..

Lighting and tripod yes but need to get a boom or something

You could just get a 20 boom mic stand. So there's some of the budget saved.