Thread: Flickering between 2 videos?

Default Flickering between 2 videos?

I've seen this effect is practically every music video... but I can not find any tutorials on how to do it, and I imagine it would simply suck if I had to do it manually.

Imagine 2 video clips playing simultaneously, and it rapidly flickering between the 2. Maybe go back and forth from one clip to the other 10 times in a second.

An example of what I am talking about can be seen all throughout this video:
    Gucci Mane - Everybody Looking ( Official Video ) - YouTube

Just watch 15 seconds of it and you'll see more than enough examples of what I am talking about.

It also seems he syncs it to the snares in the back ground, or to the tempo of the beat. How can this be done without manually zooming in and clipping off miliseconds of clips?

On a side note: There's another effect I'm curious about.

From :29-:31 in the video, there's a part when the video seemingly studders going forward and reverse back and forth where the lamborghini is turning.

Can any of these effects be done in vegas? if so, how? If not, what program can?
    Last edited by Xtensity; 01-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Yes you can do both of these in Vegas. It is done exactly how you have figured.
    The first one is done with lots of very gast cuts - I'd do it by putting the two clips on different tracks and cutting bits out of the upper on (or using the "mute" envelope)

The second one is done simply by repeating a very short section of the video.
    If you have V egas Pro, you can install scripts which will automate the "stutter", but it won't sync to the beat so you'd have to go back and adjust manually anyway.

It's really not that time consumng, compared to the edit as a whole.
    Tim

Can you tell me where I can find the mute envelope for video tracks?

Also, where can I download these scripts for vegas, and do I have to write my own script for studder or does it come with one?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xtensity View Post
    Can you tell me where I can find the mute envelope for video tracks?
    Right click on the track header (the bit at the left hand side of the track with the level controls etc), select Insert/Remove Envelope | Mute. If you don't get that choice then you're using Vegas Movie Studio rather than Vegas Pro - but you didn't tell us that, did you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtensity View Post
    Also, where can I download these scripts for vegas, and do I have to write my own script for studder or does it come with one?
    Only Vegas Pro has scripting. If you search for Google Scripts you'll find several freebies, but therse are also several pay-for script packages - I use both Excalibur and VASST UltimateS , but, as I say, you need Vegas Pro if you want to run scripts.
    Tim

Default How to Flicker video in Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Right click on the track header (the bit at the left hand side of the track with the level controls etc), select Insert/Remove Envelope | Mute. If you don't get that choice then you're using Vegas Movie Studio rather than Vegas Pro - but you didn't tell us that, did you?

Only Vegas Pro has scripting. If you search for Google Scripts you'll find several freebies, but therse are also several pay-for script packages - I use both Excalibur and VASST UltimateS , but, as I say, you need Vegas Pro if you want to run scripts.
    I see that based on previous responses flickering video cannot be done unless you have Sony Vegas Pro with scripts and using Vasst etc, am I correct? If there is a quick way to add a flicker between two videos just like the one seen above or something similar please share. There is a preset under Film Effects called reset to none then it has a drop down menu of flicker, also under Media Generators it has Solid Color. I have tried both ways to use as a flicker, can you assist with coming up with a flicker? Thank you so much.

Blog Entries

I have already answered you in my first response.
    You do not need Vegas Pro, though that would make the job much less tedious.
    With Movie Studio, you will have to mek lots of very fast cuts manually.
    Flickerin film effects is an entirely different sort of flicker - it simply changes some of the brightness of the track to which you apply it. It does not let an image from another track show through.
    Tim