Thread: What's the order of software, when using them as trials?

Default What's the order of software, when using them as trials?

I am unable to afford updating my software to newer versions of Vegas. However, I have been using the 30 day trials.

The problem, of course, is that if you start off with Vegas Pro, for example, after the 30 days, you cannot open the files using something like Vegas Movie Studios.

Knowing this mindset, what order should I install the trials in? There are four of them, however I am uncertain if
    Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Production Studio
    or
    Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum
    is the first one I should install.

Blog Entries

All the different "packages" of VMS are the same program (I say packages as opposed to versions as versions implies different generations of the software - version 9, version 10, version 11 etc).
    They all create and red .vf files. These can also be read by Vegas Pro.
    However, as they are all the same program (just with different bolt-ons), I'd be extremely surprised if you could install a trial of one package after another had expired.

Also, as the .vf (or .veg) files are not backward compatable, why are you working in these newer versions as when your trials have expired you will not be able to open the projects in your older software.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    All the different "packages" of VMS are the same program (I say packages as opposed to versions as versions implies different generations of the software - version 9, version 10, version 11 etc).
    They all create and red .vf files. These can also be read by Vegas Pro.
    However, as they are all the same program (just with different bolt-ons), I'd be extremely surprised if you could install a trial of one package after another had expired.

Also, as the .vf (or .veg) files are not backward compatable, why are you working in these newer versions as when your trials have expired you will not be able to open the projects in your older software.
    I'm not surprised, since they are each a separate product and I have been able to download trials of the smaller versions and then the professional versions before.

I have a big project in the next two months and I figured I could cover them with a home version of Sony Vegas trial and then Pro for the last month. They give you trials for each program for 30 days which i use.

About your question, I've been finishing my projects in the trial. It ends this Saturday so I plan on using my actual bought home version, however it's version 8 or some outdated one. Which is okay, it works fine for most things, except for opening mp4 files, to which it crashes. The newer versions, at least three unique programs from what I can see, don't crash when you use mp4 files so I'm waiting until next week to start the next trail.

The OP is saying that he is finishing his projects in the trial. Then he says that he's planning to use his older version. I may be getting the wrong impression, but like TimStannard said the SCS applications are not backwards compatible. He certainly cannot open the finished projects in that old version.
    Judging by what the OP says about being able to use a chain of trials like VMS HD > HD Platinum > HD PlatinumProdSte > VegasPro, it seems there's something of a loophole, since as stated, the Studios are basically the same with 'bolt-ons'. Interesting to say the least, as (in KB Search '2775') When the trial expires, there is unfortunately not a way to try it on your computer again.

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    The OP is saying that he is finishing his projects in the trial. Then he says that he's planning to use his older version. I may be getting the wrong impression, but like TimStannard said the SCS applications are not backwards compatible. He certainly cannot open the finished projects in that old version.
    Judging by what the OP says about being able to use a chain of trials like VMS HD > HD Platinum > HD PlatinumProdSte > VegasPro, it seems there's something of a loophole, since as stated, the Studios are basically the same with 'bolt-ons'. Interesting to say the least, as (in KB Search '2775') When the trial expires, there is unfortunately not a way to try it on your computer again.
    Well all I know is on the previous computer I used, I had my registered outdated program, followed by the simple home user program trial, then upped to the HD home trial, then to vegas pro. SInce then, Vegas pro has raised up to 11.

I happen to be using a new computer this year which is more powerful, and so having each of the different programs as trials is perfectly "normal" as far as I can see, considering I've done it already.

Just pay the fifty quid and be done messing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Just pay the fifty quid and be done messing around.
    Give me the money then.