Thread: Multi layer bike jump - seems amatuer

Default Multi layer bike jump - seems amatuer

After some inspiration from Stannard, I've attempted layering up three angles of the same jump. I've put in a preceeding shot and music just to give it some context and got what I wanted (which was surprisingly simple), but the layered angles seems very amatuer. It does what I was hoping, but it just looks too simplistic. What do you think? Any ideas on how I could improve the eye candy of this?

multi shot test - YouTube

Did Tim say to do this in a split screen ? I would have done it to make it a one linear shot ie approach one angle, in the air another angle, landing another angle.

That's how it was originally but I wanted to do learn a new trick - I'd never used multiple layers on top of one another and this seemed a good place to try. It's an experiment really, but it looks very very simple, and maybe less effective than the linear cut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Did Tim say to do this in a split screen ?
    The split screen suggestion was in answer to "What editing skills could I try to learn next?" I probably would not have suggested 3 angles of the same stunt for the content, but it serves to practice.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oneloosecrank View Post
    It's an experiment really, but it looks very very simple, and maybe less effective than the linear cut.
    Nothing wrong with that. Best to start simple and really understand what you're doing, then build on those skills until you can achieve something like the great job that you linked to in that other thread.
    One thing you could think about is how bet to make use of the shapes, the "frames" you're creating. In this sample of yours all three images are the same shape and size - think about varying them.

And I can't resist the temptation to link to something i did a couple of years ago - it sits somewhere between your first try at this and the film you linked to. BTW it was done in Vegas Pro. I think I probably could have achieved it in Movie Studio, but it would have been much more work (as it was it took me a long time): http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...race-life.html
    Tim

Yeah very good, that link's given me a bit more direction. I'm happy to have learnt a new trick with the software (which I've incorporated it into an edit of the originaly film and it looks alright). I think you used the frame more fully, where as I'd left large black spaces whilst the shots were different sizes as you mentioned. I'll bare these in mind next time I come to work on a layered shot like this