Thread: Gradual increase/decrease in speed

Default Gradual increase/decrease in speed

I'm very new to Premiere and I'm using Premiere Pro. I was just wondering if there's any way to have a clip play at a certain speed, then slow down/speed up to another speed.
    For example, say you've got a clip of driving down a road, and you've sped it up quite considerably, BUT there's a point in that clip where you point the camera at a roadsign or something, because it's significant, is there a way to have the bit where you point at the sign to slow down, and then speed up again once you're back facing the road.
    If you watch Top Gear (I love their videography, it's amazing) you might have seen the same effect with clouds, where there's a shot of a car, with clouds whizzing by, then they slow down to normal speed, possibly even reverse and then start whizzing forwards again.

I've been able to chop the video into sections and use the rate stretch tool to slow down the right section, but when you playback the whole thing, the transition between fast and slow is pretty nasty.

Thanks!

You won't do this in Premiere Pro as it comes out the box. To ramp speed changes you will either need After Effects or, better still I understand, the Twixtor plugin.

It can be done in Pro. What u have to do o zoom right in, chop each frame up and then change the speed value of each frame. Increasing it by one each frame, to make it gradually spped up or slow down.

Granted it's time consuming, but it's also free.

Andy Birtwell

I stand corrected. There is a freebie way. However, I value my time and the time it would take to do that and adjust the speed and then undo it all sop it can be adjusted to a different rate. I think the time saved would buy the Twixtor plugin or a full copy of After Effects.

Actually, that's an idea. If it's a one off special effect you want then download the demo of After Effects and do it in the 30 day trial period.