Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help with choosing a colour back ground.

Default Please Help with choosing a colour back ground.

Hi everyone

I am considering shooting video footage on either a plain black, white for infinity look, grey or red background. I will buy the proper material from video photography store.

I am a beginner but am thinking of buying a proper light kit from Smick.co.uk with balanced bulbs .At present I am using clamp lamps with normal CFL bulbs please see video.

Can you please give me any advice on choice or do I need to change my outfit?

I like the black tux bow tie look but am open to suggestions/advise.

I need my head and body to be visible for body and hand movements (i.e.) not trying to disappear into the background etc.

My concern is would white background be no good as my white shirt arms and white gloves would vanish??? If I wore a back suit jacket and black gloves would that work better with white background as more definition between background and me? Or would the white shirt still not work?

Would a grey background be very good too as it would not match ant of my colours and is soft and non-distracting?

I have been advised that my present background is too distracting.

If I shoot on black and I am back lit (3 point lighting using smick lighting kit with proper bulbs etc)) would my present outfit look good or would the black waist coat merge into black background? I am hoping, as I am backlit I would appear separate form the black background even though I am the same colour?

I think black would be good for white hand movement and would emphasise my face colours well but I am a novice in these matters.

My initial decision is important as I would like to keep all my footage the same but if I have to change now and again and mix things up a bit it is not a major concern but I would like to get it right from the start.

I appreciate the best way is to test all above but I am very interested in your opinion.

I canít thank anyone enough for any replies and helpful advice.

All the best

Bob

P.s Ė I am personally think a white properly lit back ground with black bow tie white shirt and black jacket would look really good.

Below video - basic clamp light lamps with 5 normal 20 watt CFL bulbs 400 watt (equiv power incandescence) each side 45 degree angle 1.5 metre away .I realise I am too near to the background and will move further away on future footage (i.e.) 3 point lighting (just test footage). Realise now that present background is very distracting and not the best choice.

HELP WITH BACKGROUND CHOICE? - YouTube

Blog Entries

A couple of observations.

The background is distracting in your video because it is a bright (and textured) red. Red is the colour one's eye is drawn to the most - this is why it is used for warnings and loads has been written about the use of red to mean just about any strong emotion.

Fundamentally you want a more neutral or sedate colour (as you've identified). Also, if not a plain background (which would be possibly too clinical), try to throw it out of focus a bit. A solid black or a solid white background will give a very particular feel to the piece. Be absolutely sure that's what you want, otherwise I'd have thought a muted coloured curtain is probably more neutral.

The other obeservation is that smick.co.uk sell kits using only daylight balanced bulbs. From discussions elsewhere on this forum (I'll try to find the .ink and post back) this is not the best option for shooting in a studio environment. Daylight bulbs are the oly real option if you are adding to existing daylight (perhaps there's natural light in the room or you're shooting outside) where introducing "warmer" bulbs would be the wrong colour, but they are not good for flesh tones. Take a look at the smick video here. The first example, where the model is shot against the window works as it's natural coloured light all round, but in the later shot at the piano, the flesh looks rather pale and blue tinged.

Here is the thread I referred to above. It's quite long and starts off about ceiling lights, but work your way through it and pay particular attention to RembrantRob's explanations.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-19-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    Tim

Default Thanks Tim

Thanks very much Tim for replying to my post.

Thank god I didn't buy the Smick kit before I came here first!

When you say plain white or black could be too clinical which I will take on board Tim what do you mean by a more muted coloured curtain.

Do you mean have the curtain ruffled like I have done in my footage or is it best to pull taught so flat surface.

My camera is not professional (ie) old Panasonic NVGS400 min dv so would a bright white background or black be too taxing or cause problems compared to a more neutral light grey colour?

Massive thanks

Bob

I've taken the liberty to download your video (Hope you don't mind) and put some different backgrounds on it to give you a better idea of what they look like. As you can see the first is the original the second is simply the same as the original but darker. The solid black and the solid white are very stark. The slightly textured looks nice if not quite the right colour the last example shows how an out of focus background will make you (in focus) standout better this then slowly gets darker to show you how you get even more prominent.

Smile Thanks so much !!!!

Bloody hell Midnight !!!

I don' t know what to say apart from THANKS (understatement)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is so helpful and has saved me so much time!!!!! Thank you very much.

I will post tomorrow about it but wanted to reply to say thanks as soon as I saw it!!!

I am off out tonight so I will get back to you.

In the mean time CHEERS !!!!!!

Bob

Blog Entries

Great job by Midnight where he has picked up the ball I tossed and ran with it to demonstrate exactly what I was getting at.

I think you'll agree that the backgrounds with a bit of texture are less distracting than those of pure black or white. In the smick video, where he demonstates the three point lighting, the effective use of the black background is where he has a light against it, making it a bit less pure black.

And there's no need to thank me - I'm just regurgitating stuff I've learned from others here. Just trying to give back a bit.

As for the GS 400 - that's what I've got. It was a great "prosumer" cam in its day.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-19-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    Tim

It wasn't a great job but I thought it would help. I started off with just the GS 200 which I still have.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    A couple of observations.

The background is distracting in your video because it is a bright (and textured) red. Red is the colour one's eye is drawn to the most - this is why it is used for warnings and loads has been written about the use of red to mean just about any strong emotion.

Fundamentally you want a more neutral or sedate colour (as you've identified). Also, if not a plain background (which would be possibly too clinical), try to throw it out of focus a bit. A solid black or a solid white background will give a very particular feel to the piece. Be absolutely sure that's what you want, otherwise I'd have thought a muted coloured curtain is probably more neutral.

The other obeservation is that smick.co.uk sell kits using only daylight balanced bulbs. From discussions elsewhere on this forum (I'll try to find the .ink and post back) this is not the best option for shooting in a studio environment. Daylight bulbs are the oly real option if you are adding to existing daylight (perhaps there's natural light in the room or you're shooting outside) where introducing "warmer" bulbs would be the wrong colour, but they are not good for flesh tones. Take a look at the smick video here. The first example, where the model is shot against the window works as it's natural coloured light all round, but in the later shot at the piano, the flesh looks rather pale and blue tinged.

Here is the thread I referred to above. It's quite long and starts off about ceiling lights, but work your way through it and pay particular attention to RembrantRob's explanations.
    I agree that in the second part of the video it is very blue but this is not caused by the lights but by the white balance setting, I am not sure whether this was deliberate to change the mood or in fact just the wrong white balance setting being used.
    All our videos use this lighting in a studio environment and do not suffer from this blue appearance.

Default Thanks guys!

Thanks again Midnight and Tim!

Been studying the video Midnight it is fantastic and like I said saved me so much time canít thank you enough!

I can def see now what you meant about too clinical!

I think the white would be great for a business (serious) or futuristic/hi tech look like Apple use). The black with a bit of texture and light on it would look very good I think more of a moody look (in my opinion of course) I can see now that my original choice was way off track Tim & Midnight too bright and shiny.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention guys.

Personally I like the darker red or texture blue look compared to the background scenery (infocus and blurred). Tim I know you mentioned red as a problematic colour as it is linked to danger and draws the eye but do you mean for bright red like my original look? Do you think a darker deeper red would be acceptable or would it still draw the eye too much I elaborate more on this later.

Midnight I also think having some texture in the background looks warmer and friendlier compared to a taught no texture look like a coloured screen .

My video is meant to be about entertaining /comedy and fun not serious at all.
    My original intent was to try and create a red stage curtain look but appreciate my red is to bright and shiny which like you said distracts from me in the picture .Pus I was lighting equally both sides with no backlight and me very close to background /curtain!

As I am now going to use a 3 point lighting set up( By the way Tim thanks for that great link to Robs advice it was very very helpful ) in fact I have been devouring (in a nice) way as much info as I can and learning so much here.

So if my videos are suppose to be funny/entertaining do you think my stage curtain look would be o.k ?Found these on ebay for a rough guide on colour/texture.

Red Velvet Stage/Backdrop/Theater/Studio Curtain 8Wx9H | eBay

If I used a more deep stage curtain red a bit like in your video Midnight? I am hoping a backlight / key and fill 3 point set up will really look good on my tight budget.

Or I could go for a grey (light or dark) to contrast? I know that white and black are to stark and probably not the best choice so any more input would be massively appreciated guys . Plus could a pain black and white cause more problems for my old min DV camera? Compared to a darker more textured look like in your video Midnight.

Realise I am going out on a limb here guys so not sure if you agree but here goes.

If I shoot my cellar budget studio and upload to you tube with link could you guys give me some help and advice??

Below is my set up.

9 year old P.C (very reliable!!!!)
    Window XP with moviemaker 2.1 (can use it well)!!!!
    Panasonic NVGS400 min DV camcorder £270 off ebay 2nd hand
    Second hand mic stand £10 metal
    Tripod £10 = crap I think I need a new one!!!!!

Rode NT3 mic invested in this new (£150) plugs straight into camera XLR to mini plug (WMM canít really edit sound apart from mute and volume so am limited here)
    My old computer struggles running Vegas plus I would have to spend time learning new software compared to getting started!!!!

8 white clamp lights all the same (10 inch diameter 250 watt capacity)
    Loads of incandescence and normal CFL bulbs (not daylight balanced) which Rembrandt Rob has me realise that they arenít the best choice unless trying to balance daylight or do skin tones justice (Even though I am wearing face paint!!!).

My studio is an old basement gym as it is the only room I can use without getting into serious trouble!!! (If you know what I mean)

No windows or daylight source very dark unlit (ie) black.
    6 light fittings 2 on each of 3 walls the walls where I sit has no fittings so they are left and right and behind the camera.
    Dimensions 15 foot wide, 20 foot long.
    Bare walls, very thin crap carpet so basically bare and filled full of stuff which I canít move or throw away damn!!!

Realise this is sound guys worst nightmare!!!!!!

What do you say?

It would be great to as Midnight you have owned and used a Panasonic NVGS 200 mini DV camcorder and Tim you own my camera !!!NVGS 400.

I wait with baited breath.

Bob

Default It's a footage?

Green or Black

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast