Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stellar Trek (fan made movie)

Default Stellar Trek (fan made movie)

Hello all,

I have been working with a mate and we have created a fan made movie.

Its not meant to be one of those stupidly serious movies that you see on youtube. Its a bit of fun.

Please have a look see and tell me what you think.

The Trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC4fr...eature=related

The movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-sZE...eature=related

i look forward to your comments.

Remember, this is meant to be a bit of fun and a homage to all the generations of Star Trek!

Thank you

Blog Entries

Often when a new bod posts here, the first critique will begin with the words "Brace yourself". I didn't begin this post with those words, but I'll insert them here.

Brace yourself.

Even taking on board the "just for fun" comment, I think anyone not directly related to those involved in the film will struggle with it. Sorry.

The trailer (which I watched in its entirity) seems to be just a selection of scenes but did nothing to make the viewer want to watch the film. Where's the hook?

I liked some of the humour in the titles at the beginning of the main film, but it rather disapponted after that.

It started with what i presume was meant to be a party scene. This is meant to set the scene. It should have been done with three shots and lasted about 5 seconds. We had to wait a whole minute (felt like more) before the the first significant action or dialog. And when that dialog came, we couldn't hear it. I gave up at that point and started skimming.

Three basic and simple tasks to get your films more watchable:
    1. Much tighter editing. If it doesn't add something tothe story or character it probably doesn't need to be there.
    2. Sort your audio out. Mics need to be close to the subject, not the camera.
    3. No matter how bad the actors are they absolutely must take it seriously in a parody/tribute. No giggling/smirking/laughing if it's not in the script. It's absolutely right that these things occur which prove you have fun while making it, but they really detract from the finished piece.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but if you put all that effort into creating the piece (script, costumes, actors etc), you deserve it to be watched and in order for it to be watched you need to put effort into making it watchable.
    Tim

Same for me, I was liking the dancing and intrigued by where this film would be going, then when the audio kicked in, or rather did not kick in, I was lost. I won't dedicate 39 minutes of viewing if I'm going to be frustrated by the audio.

I don't think the slow start helped, a pet hate of mine is painstakingly slow starts - in these days of short attention spans, a slow start is a luxury only the best can afford to attempt. Give me instant action and discrete overlay credits and I'm on your side straight away.

I have to agree with the above comments which is a shame because if you could here them and was still awake, there was some funny lines. I like the gag about thin space. and I was begining to look to much like the science officer or what ever.

If you follow the advice given by Tim especially the sound it will drastically improve your videos.

Default Fan movie

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your replies and honesty.

We understand there were a few issues with sound on the 1st film.

We are currently writing a sequel to Stellar Trek which will be a lot better and more structured. We have more equipment so the sound quality will improve! We are developing the scripts and characters and we have a lot more time to plan each scene.
    Sets are going to be specifically built so the whole production will improve!

Filming will start in the next few weeks, the CGI has been started and its looking good!

Once the film has been complete I will post the link on here so you can all review it.

Thank you

Nick, I must say I'm disappointed that I could not sit through that sound, but I like the fact that you have bundles of energy and are willing to improve on things.

It's great to have so much time to do such huge assignments, good for you.

The frustrating thing is that I really would like to watch the 39 minutes, and maybe I will soon

edit: I just tried again and was enjoying a world of fantasy, but then I woke up and realised there were just 4 guys talking in the kitchen.

MORE IMPACT needed.
    Last edited by Stripe; 01-20-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_b View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Filming will start in the next few weeks, the CGI has been started and its looking good!
    Unless I'm mistaken, The CGI scenes were from a video game called "Bridge Commander" A Star Trek themed game.

If your using the resources of others, It might be worth crediting them as a bare minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, The CGI scenes were from a video game called "Bridge Commander" A Star Trek themed game.

If your using the resources of others, It might be worth crediting them as a bare minimum.
    I can assure you that all the cgi is original, I use 3ds max 2010, the phasers were created in after effects cs4.

I will take your comment as a compliment because if my 1st attempt at cgi is of a standard that can be mistaken for a professionally developed game then I'm happy with that.

As I've had time to get used to using 3ds max the 2nd film will see new custom made original ships!!

Then I retract my comment....and congratulate you on fooling me

Hey I must admit I am not qualified to comment on your video in terms of the technical side of things but good for you for getting it made and done!!!!!!
    A lot of people sit round procrastinating and debating things but don't get anything actually done and boxed off.
    I am a big star trek fan and star wars fan which I realise is rare as a bit of rivalry there between fans!!

love the outfits and some of the script !!!!

Dogs cool!!!

Keep going .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast