Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preview of project is jumpy and not smooth

1. Default Preview of project is jumpy and not smooth

I am from Australia using recetly purchased Version 11. Viewing my production in preview is difficult as it is very jumpy. Preview is set at Preview (Auto).
    Video Properties are set at TEMPLATE: HD 1080-60i (1920x1080, 29.97fps) WIDTH: 1920 HEIGHT: 1080 FIELD ORDER: Upper Field First
    PIXEL ASPECT RATIO: 1.0000 (square) FRAME RATE: 29.970 (NTSC)
    The problem is mainly with video where it jumps 30, 40 or 50 frames at a time. Also with transitions. Even using the arrow keys it is 3 frames for each keystroke. Makes it difficult when doing some fine tuning.

Computer specs?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Adnum View Post
    Even using the arrow keys it is 3 frames for each keystroke. Makes it difficult when doing some fine tuning.
    The number of frames moved when you hit the cursor keys depends on how far in you are zoomed on the timeline. Zoom in more for smaller movement. Alternatively Alt+cursor key will ove one frame at a time.

As for jerky preview - yes, it will be, unless you have a very powerful machine. Unlike some other NLEs, Vegas doesn't pre-render as you go. This means you can edit rapidly, but the trade off is you won't always get a smooth preview. Usually when editing in Vegas, set the preview to a low resolution when doing timings specific edits and high resolution when you want to do colour correction etc.
    Tim

. . . . recetly purchased Version 11.
    What "version" of Vegas?Pro/Plat/Studio? What Build Number?

Video Properties are set at . . . .
    Sure, can we assume you are editing IN that Format too?

The problem is mainly with video where it jumps 30, 40 or 50 frames at a time. Also with transitions.
    Until we can confirm the previous AND the power of your PC, AND Graphics card AND its driver version, all bets are off. You need to supply further info on all these counts. VP11 is now, more than ever before, an elegant, elaborate and complex NLE. It is rather like a highly strung racehorse. It needs to be treated with respect. And that means, more than ever before, serious attention to the hardware and the detail about that hardware - drivers, versions, patches. Far too geeky for my previous 10 year experience Vegas has required. I am not alone in registering this.

Even using the arrow keys it is 3 frames for each keystroke. Makes it difficult when doing some fine tuning.
    Again, the same as above. I'm in 50i and that means all my Project settings are matched to this - SD or HD or HDV. There has to be a very good reason I don't. And here, following my methodology of Media Format<>Properties matching, I can't repro your issue. It works. I must say, Tim, zooming in and out makes no difference to Frame keying. Zoom-Out, I can go Frame by Frame, Zoom-In I can go frame by Frame. The 3 frame at a time is odd, and just maybe leans towards my Number2 question.

So, Tony, throw us an info-lifeline here - yeah?

Vegas Pro 11 has had 3 updates since release (?), this has got to indicate something about this always evolving/developing platform. For the moment I've stopped at Build 425 (that is the 64bit). I've needed to get client work out, and have fallen back on VP10e to achieve this.

. . . . .
    Last edited by Grazie; 01-20-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I must say, Tim, zooming in and out makes no difference to Frame keying. Zoom-Out, I can go Frame by Frame, Zoom-In I can go frame by Frame. The 3 frame at a time is odd, and just maybe leans towards my Number2 question.
    Are we talking at cross purposes here, Grazie?

I'm not sure what you mean by the phrase "Frame keying" - no-one else had mentioned it and I know how important it is we agree on the terminology.

I'm talking about the movement of the cursor along the timeline when one presses the left/right arrows (as that's what I believe the OP is talking about). This has always been the behaviour since version 6 (I know you go back much further). It's in the Help file:

Move left/right one pixel (when Quantize to Frames is turned off)
    Left or Right Arrow

Move one frame left/right
    Alt+Left or Right Arrow

The "one pixel" will depend on how far zoomed in or out you are on the timeline. Use Alt+Left/Right for frame by frame movement. If I zoom in such that my timeline displays about 4 minutes (on a 22" monitor with about 3" for the header section), place my cursor in the timeline and watch the position in the lower right, then press the right arrow, the cursor position advances by 3 frames. If I Alt+right arrow, it does so by only one frame.
    Tim

What I mean is using the "keyboard" arrows keys (as in typewriter 'keys') to move frame by frame. And that's what I mean by Frame keying.

And I still want to hear what our chum is using on the T/L.

. . . . . .

Blog Entries

What I mean is using the "keyboard" arrows keys (as in typewriter 'keys') to move frame by frame. And that's what I mean by Frame keying.
    So were not talking at cross purposes then. Yet you don't get behaviour as described in the help file. I'm intrigued.

As for the OP he hasn't really had a chance to respond to your post, being in the land of Oz. We'll just have to wait.....
    Tim

I use the arrow keys and can go one frame at a time. Isn't that in the Help file?

Blog Entries

I use the arrow keys and can go one frame at a time. Isn't that in the Help file?

I quoted directly from the help file above. It moves one pixel at a time. (And splitting hairs if quantize to frames is on an a frame on the timeline is more than one pixel, it will move one pixel) so this clearly depends on how far zoomed in/out you are. As I said with 4 mins showing on my timeline, the arrow key moves three frames.

Indeed here's possibly the most boring video ever - demonstrating how the zoom of the timeline affects how many frames forward/backward the keyboard arrow key moves the cursor. Of course there's no proof. You have to take my word for it that when the cursor moves, I'm pressing the right arrow key.

Last edited by TimStannard; 01-20-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Tim

10. Default

thanks everyone. I am using Version 11.0 Version 247. Loaded from a disc, first time user. Previously Version 7.0. I am running on Windows XP but will have to advise other technical info. later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast