Thread: Would this effect be easy to do for a beginner?

Default Would this effect be easy to do for a beginner?

I'm filming my AS media studies project in a couple of weeks and i was wondering about a particular effect i would like to use in it.

We are doing a film opening, so we need 'Directed by Tim Jones" etc in the titles and i was thinking of a way but i'm not sure how i would create an effect like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/spdk1/GotY/SCC_Objective_Market.jpg

I remember seeing it in a game. The idea is that, i would put 'Directed by Tim Jones" etc on a wall or a building or something and make someone walk past.

The camera could be stationary on moving with the character but the idea is that the name stays in the same place, and looks good. Not just some text on the camera.

I was thinking of a few other ideas, like a close up of a cigarette burning down with someones name on it. And as the cigarette burns down, the names burns away or something.

Any ideas how i would do these?

And would Sony vegas or media studio be the best software to achieve these effects?

This sounds a bit ambitious for someone who has to ask if it's possible. A program like Sony Vegas can put text on the screen at angles to give "the impression" that it's part of the scene but it's not really going to look like it's "real" without a lot of experience and skill in doing this type of thing. Have you thought of going down the road of a "James Bond" title, using a projector and actually projecting the words on the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    This sounds a bit ambitious for someone who has to ask if it's possible. A program like Sony Vegas can put text on the screen at angles to give "the impression" that it's part of the scene but it's not really going to look like it's "real" without a lot of experience and skill in doing this type of thing. Have you thought of going down the road of a "James Bond" title, using a projector and actually projecting the words on the scene.
    Yeh, i figured as much ^^

I realised after i posted that would be a better idea and tested a small bit of card with a torch and a box. Extremely standard and of course more suitable lighting etc would be used on the real thing. They've got lighting hardware at the college which i could use, but as it was going to bed set, when it was dark, maybe under a few streetlights, it would all have to be pretty sealed up.

Ill ask about it, and see where it goes ^^

Thanks for the reply

Boris effects plug-in for Vegas allows this with pinning, have a look on their site ($600)

There's a well-known maxim to follow most of the time "KISS" which roughly translates as "Keep it simple -"

and another that says match the quality of the titles to the content that follows . . . . that means don't have fantastic titles followed by so-so content. So the greater effort should go into the "Content" - and then consider the titles sio they match in "excitement value"

((I'm sure someone else can put it better))