Thread: Lighting/Lens Flare shooting

Default Lighting/Lens Flare shooting

Hey guys, new here, so obviously apologize for being a noob.

Anyway, looking for some help for a shoot I want to do. I'm pretty experienced, use FCP. Not exactly sure of how to describe what I'm needing to do, but it seems like it's just a lighting technique, with what maybe is a Lens Flare effect added. Just a black background with a light behind the subject that makes the effect (and obviously front light on the subject). A better way to see what I mean is by watching a video like this, starting at :08.

So, I think I pretty much know how it'd done, but just need to get some better insight since it's something I haven't done before. I don't have access to a studio or anything really. So my main questions on getting this to work...how far back does that light need to be? And behind the light can you just use a black backdrop or does it need to be in a big studio with open, non-lit space behind it? Any help here on the best way to get something like this done would be greatly appreciated!

And obviously, if this is on the wrong forum or whatever I apologize.
    Last edited by mattadk; 01-15-2012 at 04:34 AM.

I'm not a lighting expert but I have tried a similar shot in the past. Put your back light about 6-8 feet behind the subject. If you have access to a large space you shouldn't need a black backdrop but it would help if you do. I found even pointing the camera directly at the back light I was still picking up a lot of the background but this was because I couldn't shut down the iris enough on the camera because I hadn't put enough light on the front of the subject. The other thing to consider is the light spill from the front lights onto the background, you will need to position the lights to prevent this, having "barn doors" and directional lights will help, which I didn't have with my effort. You can also use "flags" for this problem.

The lens flare may just happen in camera with the right positioning of camera subject and lights and would look better than doing it in post.

Hope this helps. I wish I knew all this when I did my shoot.

Video is removed - However, I'd expect a "lens-flare" effect to be in FCP - it's in Vegas Studio at 30 -

Thanks TS, as I said the Vid was unavailable.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 01-29-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Video is removed - However, I'd expect a "lens-flare" effect to be in FCP - it's in Vegas Studio at 30 -
    It wasn't straightforward lens flare like that, vidmanners. Imagine a person against a black background with spotlight over his shoulder facing the camera - that was the sort of effect he was going for.
    Tim