Thread: Squeezing HDD DVD Down

Default Squeezing HDD DVD Down

Great forums - wish I'd discovered you all earlier ! -

After compiling my DVD movie in DVD-Lab I find it is too big to fit on the standard 4.7GB disk. I then use DVDShrink 3.2 which
    1) will not shrink it far enough in one pass - requires a second go &
    2) if the compiled DVD files are in excess of 10GB DVD Shrink will flag an error about "can't open VOB file nn" (usually the ninth one) or an "overlapped I/O error"

It seems that DVD-Lab has no options to allow compression duing compile. My source files are edited & compressed through TMPGenc but it is difficult to predict what compression should be used without going through to a full compile.

Is there a better way? - DVDshrink seems to be all there is and it ain't working too well ...

Thanks
    pjay

I've not tried to shrink a DVD image on my hard drive but my experience of DVD SHrink is that it has an option for you to choose the exacvt compressionratio of your choice and it then displays the space taken - in comparison to a standard blank media.

Yes - Thanks Alan - I've been there and found that I cannot set it to Custom size and then slide the compression setting below 45% to enable it to fit. DVDShrink persists in staying at 45%.

Some more detail - I am burning to DVD R/W for testing purposes - this disc reports at 4.4GB which I suspect is where Shrink is getting confused.

Further to your comment about not doing it this way (Shrink/HDD) - what would you recommend? Should I be putting more time into the math with TMPG and doing the initial compression there? I have screwed it back to 5000 bits - the problem is that I have slide shows and reconsititued audio via Cool Edit within the compile and it ain't too easy to predict or calculate the final compiled size which takes a lifetime!

Great fun tho ...

Cheers
    PJAY

in truth I suspect this all boils down tothe fact that you are simply trying to put too much on a single DVD. I wouldn;t vbe surprised if you;ve simply reached a llimit at which DVD Shrink is not happy about compressing to because it assumed the image/audio would be compressed to much adn would degrade noticably.

Is there any chance you have the option of mastering over two disks?

Yes - I think you're on the money there Alan - too much on the one disc - looking at commercial DVD movies I was always impressed at how much extra stuff they got on - then on reading these forums I clicked to the fact that they're probably double layer - so - either another upgrade for my DVD writer or stay with smaller Vid - the dual sided 4.7's could be a good solution.

The vid quaity even at the compression rate I finally get out of Shrink isn't too bad - amateur theatre shot from the lighting box so I shoudn't grumble I guess. Go out and mow the lawns while it churns it down!

Thanks for your prompt feedback - I hope I can contribute some info in the future.

pjay

how long is the video you're trying to fit on?

What's the bitrate of the video and audio? what format is the video? did you do vbr? 1 or 2 passes? Or did you do CBR?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

[img][/img] Hope it's OK to add in a pic of the compiler here - it answers most of the questions.

The vid output is PAL - 4:3. TMPGenc does the editing, correction and compression of the source files into the three files showing. I have set the bitrate in TMP to 4000, 6000 6000 - more by guess than good design!

Audio is stripped off into WAV files, reprocessed for level and clarity and remux'd back on compile. I understand 48000 is the lowest compatible bit rate for DVD.

Pics in the slide shows are JPG with audio backing.

Hope this helps and thanks for your input.

pjay

There's only 2.5 hours' video there. That should fit on a dvdr no bother, in reasonable quality.

the 48000 is the audio frequency. the bitrate, i see, is 192kbps which is fine.

I'd look at recompressing your two big video files at a lower bitrate. Make sure you're doing a 2-pass vbr encode.

download a bitrate calculator!
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Brilliant - thanks for that advice - just what was needed - I have set TMP alight on the recompression which is going to take a while and I have downloaded a bitrate calculator which suggested 3500 as being a good compresion rate.

I guess I'll need to reindex the resultant files and relink into the menus but that's a dawdle compared to a double compression with Shrink.

On on ...

pjay