Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Short wildlife Film about Puffins ...Enjoy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Evesham UK
    Posts
    12

    Default Short wildlife Film about Puffins ...Enjoy

    Hi Everyone

    I made a short film about my visit to the Island of Skomer to visit the gorgeous little Puffin. Hope you enjoy it

    The Atlantic Puffin - YouTube

    Filmed on my EX1

    Dean

  2. #2

    Default

    Very, very nice piece. Looked great, sounded great, educated, entertained. It ticked all the boxes for me.

    Very well done.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Evesham UK
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Very, very nice piece. Looked great, sounded great, educated, entertained. It ticked all the boxes for me.

    Very well done.
    Thank you for the compliments! It was a real joy to be amongst such beautiful birds... Glad you enjoyed my short film

    Dean

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,849
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Dean, that was a fantastic film. Great shots and a well written, informative script which bordered on the cliché at time but you managed to make your own ("... an aerial game of cat and mouse unfolds ...")
    Many of the shots were particularly good but I thought the tiltup ending up with the puffin on the right of the frame for the title shot was as good as any I've seen.

    Being very picky (and I do mean very):

    I thought the titles and your own credit (Filmed and edited by ...Dean..) needed a bit of drop shadow or outline, just to make them stand out a bit from the background (the web link & copyright were fine).

    I'm not sure about the slo-mo at 3:09. I know why you want to keep it and I think it's an interesting and informative image to have. Perhaps what grated was the rather sudden slow down and speed up - perhaps if you could have ramped the speed down then up.

    I'm not sure it's a good idea to mention things that you haven't been able to film (babies at night). I agree it's an important point about the subject matter, but it does rather (a) draw our attention to the fact we're watching a film and (b) highlights your limitations - which i realise is unfair, but why draw the viewers' attention to it.

    The commentary was nicely paced and i think you have a great calm but enthusiastic voice. I did wonder whether it was just a touch too emphatic/eager - just a hint of a spoof of Sir David.

    Finaly the "worst" part - no, that's unfair, lets say the least very good part occurred at around 2:06. The shot is a nicely executed zoom out and the commentary is talking about the "spectacular coastal path". As you mention this, the zoom acts as a reveal showing a number of industrial chimney's in the background! Had you not used that bit of commentary at that place, or had you not had a zoom (even if you'd stuck on the wide shot) it probably would have been ok - It's a combination of the two which draws attention to the chimneys.

    But as I say these are all being hyper-critical. It is an excellent film.
    Tim

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Evesham UK
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Dean, that was a fantastic film. Great shots and a well written, informative script which bordered on the cliché at time but you managed to make your own ("... an aerial game of cat and mouse unfolds ...")
    Many of the shots were particularly good but I thought the tiltup ending up with the puffin on the right of the frame for the title shot was as good as any I've seen.

    Being very picky (and I do mean very):

    I thought the titles and your own credit (Filmed and edited by ...Dean..) needed a bit of drop shadow or outline, just to make them stand out a bit from the background (the web link & copyright were fine).

    I'm not sure about the slo-mo at 3:09. I know why you want to keep it and I think it's an interesting and informative image to have. Perhaps what grated was the rather sudden slow down and speed up - perhaps if you could have ramped the speed down then up.

    I'm not sure it's a good idea to mention things that you haven't been able to film (babies at night). I agree it's an important point about the subject matter, but it does rather (a) draw our attention to the fact we're watching a film and (b) highlights your limitations - which i realise is unfair, but why draw the viewers' attention to it.

    The commentary was nicely paced and i think you have a great calm but enthusiastic voice. I did wonder whether it was just a touch too emphatic/eager - just a hint of a spoof of Sir David.

    Finaly the "worst" part - no, that's unfair, lets say the least very good part occurred at around 2:06. The shot is a nicely executed zoom out and the commentary is talking about the "spectacular coastal path". As you mention this, the zoom acts as a reveal showing a number of industrial chimney's in the background! Had you not used that bit of commentary at that place, or had you not had a zoom (even if you'd stuck on the wide shot) it probably would have been ok - It's a combination of the two which draws attention to the chimneys.

    But as I say these are all being hyper-critical. It is an excellent film.
    Hi Tim,

    Thank you so much for the time you took to give you honest and welcome opinion. I have made a few 'short' films for my website for fun under the guise of 'Deans wild shorts' Although I do take my filming very seriously these were 'relaxed' if you will, films I made of some of my favourite subjects. I will post another up soon. The 'coastal path' sequence was put in because it features my fiancee Jacky and my little girl Willow (I wasn't concentrating on the background really so my bad)

    I edited it with FCP on my old trusty MacBookPro which I have now retired and am looking at a Windows based Laptop with Adobe Cs5.5 so I will look at boosting my titles amongst other things...

    Anyway thanks again and I'm glad you liked my film, I look forward to your views on the next

    Kind regards

    Dean

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    972

    Default

    I liked it too, although the opening soundtrack was of waves breaking and a relatively calm sea... it soon turned choppy, on the coastal rocks.
    Those shots were "rock steady" so I'm guessing NOT hand-held - and I wonder if I was at the place others were (that group) what lens would I need to get those shots? . . . I didn't realise how small the birds are, until you showed us...
    It's bad not to be paid for that quality of work.


    I admit I didn't notice the factories, but when the voiceover said "coastal footpath" we could hardly see the walkers.... IMHO a few people walking into the scene would be better, - then we want to follow.
    Great.

    Another one of yr vids had no voiceover - that's a shame when it could be informative. "Seals" On "Puffins" I think you have it about right.

    PC get as many "cores" for HD as you can.

    Good Luck.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 01-17-2012 at 05:22 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Evesham UK
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    I liked it too, although the opening soundtrack was of waves breaking and a relatively calm sea... it soon turned choppy, on the coastal rocks.
    Those shots were "rock steady" so I'm guessing NOT hand-held - and I wonder if I was at the place others were (that group) what lens would I need to get those shots? . . . I didn't realise how small the birds are, until you showed us...
    It's bad not to be paid for that quality of work.


    I admit I didn't notice the factories, but when the voiceover said "coastal footpath" we could hardly see the walkers.... IMHO a few people walking into the scene would be better, - then we want to follow.
    Great.

    Another one of yr vids had no voiceover - that's a shame when it could be informative. "Seals" On "Puffins" I think you have it about right.

    PC get as many "cores" for HD as you can.

    Good Luck.
    Hi...

    Thanks for the feedback

    I used a Manfrotto 503/525 tripod set and the ground!!!

    The 35mm tele equiv of the EX1's lens is 439mm ... And yes if I was shooting the film more seriously at the time I would have recce'd a better back drop for the Coastal Path scene

    Seals on Puffins???

    My next laptop is a Quadcore

    Regards

    Dean

  8. Default

    I liked it as well; very visual and engaging. However, the thing that turned me off was that the the narration was too punchy and slow. I felt like I was in an ESL class. Sorry if it's harsh but it just came off like that. On the brighter side, I understood everything and the tone of your voice which is cohesive with the piece. I look forward to more of these.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Evesham UK
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gracywoods View Post
    I liked it as well; very visual and engaging. However, the thing that turned me off was that the the narration was too punchy and slow. I felt like I was in an ESL class. Sorry if it's harsh but it just came off like that. On the brighter side, I understood everything and the tone of your voice which is cohesive with the piece. I look forward to more of these.
    Lol ... Not harsh at all i know exactly what you mean... When I listened back to it I could gear that too... Will try better next time thanks for the comments and Glad you liked the film.

    All ... The ... Best

    Dean

Similar Threads

  1. worse short short film
    By BigTrev in forum User Videos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 09:28 PM
  2. karma-short film-student film
    By yosy in forum User Videos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 01:34 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 11:45 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 01:48 AM
  5. Enjoy, Film and Post!
    By Marc Peters in forum Forum Announcements and News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 09:11 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •