Thread: Rendering problems

Default Rendering problems

Hello,

I am new to the forums so please if this is in the wrong section, forgive me.

Onto the problem. I am recording gameplay with a friend. Using FRAPS and Audacity as the capture software. For the video editing itself I am using Sony Vegas Pro 11.0.

As FRAPS records segments of your gameplay and saves them usually at 5 minutes per set. The problem is that I am trying to find the best possible render settings and the files are too big. I don't save them as .avi but as .mxf. The piece of video I want to render is about 4 and a half minutes long. When rendered the size is about 850MB. These videos go onto youtube and as per usual the upload speed is painfully slow. It does work but takes it's sweet time.

The video capture setting are as follows:

1176x684.
    50FPS

Can anybody tell me how to render them in good quality without the massive file size. All the videos together are about 2 hours long and they will need to be cut to 10 minutes for youtube.

My current render setting for the capture settings above are:

HD 720-50p (1280x720, 50.000fps)
    Frame Rate: 50.000 (Double Pal)
    Pixel Format: 8-bit

When I select render I chose the HD EX 1280x720 -50P
    16 bit
    MPEG HD

option from the Sony MXF Drop down menu.

Are these setting correct for my recorded project and is the file size okay for the file I am rendering with the above settings.

Thank you for your time.
    -Leroy

What would be better is if you could record from Fraps at 1280 x 720 and then render with these settings. It's always best to keep the same settings throughout the whole process of captureing, project property settings and render settings. If you have to capture with the above settings then the 720p render settings is the nearest for you. I have found that the Windows Media Video (.wmv) format can be better for keeping quality and producing a smaller file size.

The defalt 720p template is set at a bit rate of 6.7bps I would rase this to something between 10-15bps but it's something you should experiment with yourself to get the best balance between file size and quality.

One last thing if you look at the YouTube upload page you may find you can upload longer videos than 10mins, they let me have 15mins.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    What would be better is if you could record from Fraps at 1280 x 720 and then render with these settings. It's always best to keep the same settings throughout the whole process of captureing, project property settings and render settings. If you have to capture with the above settings then the 720p render settings is the nearest for you. I have found that the Windows Media Video (.wmv) format can be better for keeping quality and producing a smaller file size.

The defalt 720p template is set at a bit rate of 6.7bps I would rase this to something between 10-15bps but it's something you should experiment with yourself to get the best balance between file size and quality.

One last thing if you look at the YouTube upload page you may find you can upload longer videos than 10mins, they let me have 15mins.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks very much for this. I am playing around with it at the moment. I agree that the videos should be recorded at 1280x720. To be honest I dont know why its lower.

I realize that youtube as uped the video time limit

Thanks very much for your input!

Is HD 1280 really required? seems a bit over the top. A painfuly slow upload will be compressed anyway by youtube, and also some people will end up with jerky playback because of the high setting download. I realise gamers may want to watch it in hi-res, but however good their PC, it still comes down to their internet speed.

Is it possible to upload the clips in full quality to a server site, and then have people download the file, that solves all your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Is HD 1280 really required? seems a bit over the top. A painfuly slow upload will be compressed anyway by youtube, and also some people will end up with jerky playback because of the high setting download. I realise gamers may want to watch it in hi-res, but however good their PC, it still comes down to their internet speed.

Is it possible to upload the clips in full quality to a server site, and then have people download the file, that solves all your problems.
    Well my internet speed isn't a problem for me. I have seen many gaming videos on youtube even in 1920 x 1080 and they seem fine and and those movies were 45 minutes long. I'm just concerned about the upload time for such a large file size because of the time I have to wait. I don't have too much time as I work and am not too keen on leaving my computer on when away from the home.

Also I don't like the idea of people having to download my videos rather than them just watching them on youtube like everyone else does.

Thanks for the input though