Thread: Motion Graphics Typography - What do you think?

Default Motion Graphics Typography - What do you think?

Hi,

I made a motion graphics animation in the style of typography. I would be really grateful if you could please shed some expertise on how I could improve it. Have a look and let me know what you think: Price Gouging - It's a Good Thing - YouTube

I would really appreciate it if you gave me a "like." Thank you.

-Mike

Visually I thought it looked good. The graph helped to explain the equation on price and scarcity of goods. There were times when the diction of the male narrator wasn't very good which made it a little difficult to understand what was being said especially around the time he talked about fuel and food production at around 0:45. It's not so much the recording was bad, just the projection of the voice dropped or something.

I can't say I agree with the simplified synopsis as you seem to be advocating profiteering at times of disaster, usually this profiteering comes form outside the disaster area because the local industry has been devastated BUT I'm no expert in this area and haven't studied the facts. I would guess it depends on the area that was effected. Example Haiti has been totally screwed by outsiders, were as Japan has been mostly self sufficient. That didn't stop the price of potassium iodide shooting up.

Anyway, I thought it was a good technical job on the video.

Thank you very much for the feedback! You raise a very good point, but this is a slightly controversial issue. It boils down to whether it is better to aid a country in the short run or in the long run. Aiding in both doesn't work, as price gouging benefits the long run (hurts short run), and banning price gouging benefits short run (but hurts long run). Unfortunately, due to the time limit, I was unable to cover the other side of the issue.

Thanks again for your feedback! Much appreciated. I'll definitely try to improve the voice next time

Blog Entries

I agree with Midnight about the narrator's voice. The speed with which it was delivered didn't help - particularly with "technical" issues such as this where the listener missing just one word can significantly affect the meaning. The visuals explained the narration very well, but I was still struggling to keep up. Slower would run the risk of it becoming boring so the only solution is near perfect commentary.

I'm a firm believer in market led economics, but I'm not sure it quite works in this environment as it is not a closed marked and I'm not convinced that the influence of external suppliers would be as beneficial as you state.

Also the argument that higher prices will mean people will hoard less (thus making more available for distribution) is highly questionable. I'd suggest the reverse is true.

I also disagree with your sentiment Midnight when you say this is "profiteering". You imply it profiteering is a bad thing, as in "taking advantage". Yes, it's making a profit, but it actually helps. From the point of view of companies still producing who are within the disaster zone, they need to maintain the same level of turnover whilst being able to produce fewer goods - gut reaction suggests this is making excess profits, but in fact this enables them to keep production going and thus people in employment(this may well be a lower level of employment, but if they maintained prices they are still only able to produce the same quanity and so will still require a smaller workforce.)

From the point of view of suppliers outside the disaster area, the market has suddenly become profitable (that is similarly profitable to their businesses elsewhere) - if it was profitable before, they would have already been in that market.

I think I've wandered off topic. Oops
    Tim

When I said profiteering I was meaning form outside influences like THIS, not the local economy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    When I said profiteering I was meaning form outside influences like THIS, not the local economy.
    Horrific as that is, it is not really aything to do with an external supplier filling a gap in the market due to local shortage because of disaster which is what the video was about.
    Tim