Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having some problems...total newb here :)

Default Having some problems...total newb here :)

Hey...I'm somewhat new to video editing. Pretty much the extent of my video edits in the past have been very basic, effect-devoid, 2 minute movies in Apple's iMovie.

Now, here I sit, needing to edit about a 10+ minute video production for a class project, and I've got Sony Vegas 5 and have no idea how to use it.

The actual cutting and effects I can (and for the most part, already have) figured out for myself. But, for the life of me I can't figure out how to make this damned thing do proper subtitles.

All I need is to be able to insert subtitles in each scene (the dialogue is in Latin, and nobody really speaks Latin), so everyone knows what's going on.

Simple question, I know, but I've gotta figure it out

Thanks for any help.
    Newb...and proud.

Default Text media

Hey

I can relate to your situation --- it was only 6 months ago i was faced with doing a 10 minute video for a class project!

The easiest way to add subtitles is to add a text media event (insert - text media). Resize the text so it is subtitle-size. Then, click on the "Placement" tab, and in the drop down box, where it currently says "Free form", select centre bottom (or bottom centre/bottom middle/middle bottom). This will position the text in the bottom of the screen in the centre. Add a safezone of around 10% to make it look nice. Unfortunately, I just think you will have to just have a new textbox for each subtitle grouping.

Good luck,

Andrew

3. Default

Tropettiste's solution sound fair enough. But are there easier ways of doing it in other software? What other software?

Bluff Titler or Swishmax

5. Default

I have swish and I like it. I am sure that the upgrade to swishmax is reasonably priced. I had no idea it could produce subtitles for video (not flash). But then again since I am thinking of new deployment and converting to flash, I could do the subtitles at that the final stage.
    http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?a...&tab=downloads

You can render out in Swishmax as SWF or AVI files

7. Default

Thanks.

I am still using Vegas for subtitles. Till now I was actually adding titles (not sub titles) on black background. Then I moved to actually creating subtitles.

Some tips for novices.
    Add Text Media
    Placement - Bottom Center, safety zone 5%,
    Properties font about 36 for Youtube, a bit smaller for screen or TV

Create one subtitle then copy it - that way text size colour and placement remains the same.
    Make sure that the text video track is at the top, above the main video track so that it appears, rather than be hidden by the main video!!
    I used "s" to slice the main video track at appropriate break points, but it would
    have been nicer to add plain markers. I am not sure how to do that.

Add Text Media - Add a TOPMOST Track and place Text there. This was said but needs to happen to start with!!

Font Size - You can also RE-SIZE using Pancrop

Creating A Reusable Preset - This is one of the very powerful features of Vegas. Once you create it, this remains available for OTHER Vegas projects too! So there is really no NEED to copy it.

OK, set up the way you want the Subtitle to look. In the Video Media Generator Menu and on the line with "Preset" enter a NAME that makes sense to you - MyName SubTitle 1a - or whatever and click on the small Floppy Disc next to the NAMING line. Now, when ever you insert a Text MedGen you can select from the Preset DROP Down menu your very own Preset OR - and this is the bit I like - within the Media Generator Tab you will now see your NEW Text Preset. Drag that to the position you want and edit the text! Done! once you have the hang of this you can also explore all the other "Stock" GenMed Media items and make your own too.

Question: "I used "s" to slice the main video track at appropriate break points, but it would have been nicer to add plain markers. I am not sure how to do that." - I don;t understand just what and why you are "S"plitting? Tell me more - do.

Do you have DVD Architect as that has a subtitle tool?

10. Default

Dear Gord
    Yes, I do. I have never installed it because I never make DVD's but I will now. Thanks.

Easy to use is it?
    Last edited by timtak; 03-01-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast