Thread: Adobe Media Encoder: wmv to h264 - larger file size

1. Question Adobe Media Encoder: wmv to h264 - larger file size

So even though I made every little detail in the export options the same or smaller (I even had a significantly smaller bitrate), the file size is always like twice as big as my original wmv file.

The original file:

video
    01:10:00
    1680x1050 (yeah, its a desktop dimension..)
    data rate 4576kbps
    total bitrate 4624kbps
    29fps

audio
    bitrate 48kbps
    mono
    sample rate 44kHz

263 MB

Ok so I'm using the following specs to encode:

H.264
    multiplexing mp4, stream capability none
    NTSC 1680x1050 square pixels
    Main profile level 4.2
    29.97fps progressive
    AAC 48kbps 44.1kHz mono
    VBR 1 pass
    target 3.00 max 4.62 Mbps (with this bitrate it should be a lot smaller right?)

So yeah.. my file size after exporting is 666 MB (MARK OF THE BEAST O.o)

Any ideas? These videos are going to be hosted and streamed from our server so the file size needs to be small but they are also pretty high def, obviously I thought H.264. Starting to get a little frustrated.

Still learning when it comes to video. Any help is greatly appreciated

Blog Entries

The two bit rates you've provided are almost identical. The video / audio bitrate is also only a (albeit significant) part of the calculation of file size. You also have to factor in quality - if you want a high quality with a VBR, it's going to bs at the cost of a higher average bitrate. All in all, you can't really compare the two given the different codecs. I suggest you use a bit rate calculator to give you the parameters you need for a given file size.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    The two bit rates you've provided are almost identical. The video / audio bitrate is also only a (albeit significant) part of the calculation of file size. You also have to factor in quality - if you want a high quality with a VBR, it's going to bs at the cost of a higher average bitrate. All in all, you can't really compare the two given the different codecs. I suggest you use a bit rate calculator to give you the parameters you need for a given file size.
    Thanks for the reply

Oops, I wrote the bitrate wrong for some reason. The original is 4624 kbps and the exported ends up being 1327 kbps. I'm checking out bit rate calculators right now...

4. Default

OK, so it says I'm going to need a bitrate of 477kbps just to get down to the original file size. I'm doing a test now, I set it to .48 Mbps target, .5 Mbps max. I'm not really sure how big of a gap I should leave between the target and max.

5. Default

That one is 499MB. Yeah, I might just leave it a wmv, I thought for sure h264 would be the way to go. I guess not.

6. Default

By the way, I did another one at .2 Mbps target, .4 max.

...Looks like shit

7. Default

Ok I guess I should have mentioned this in the first place, the original file is exported from "go to webinar." I just read that it creates a non-standard wmv format. I think this might be why I'm having a hard time exporting it. If anyone has any insight about this let me know. Thanks