Thread: DSLR Sports event, best Lens to use

Default DSLR Sports event, best Lens to use

Hey guys,

Im an beginner at all of this HD video shooting and recently picked up a t2i and will be doing the videography for a boxing sporting event. What would be the best type of lens to use for this type of shoot. I'll be shooting up close as I will be right behind the ropes at the neutral corner. I've shot with a 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 in the past and noticed that its got a great wide angle that covers the entire ring, but when the opponents are on opposite sides of the ring, zoom is not enough to get a closer shot. Is there a wide angle lens that goes to say 50mm? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

Not lens advice (which is what you asked for, but an area of limited knowledge for me), but this really sounds like you need at least two separate cameras - one for the tight shots and one for wide angle. Anything over 50mm is generally considered as a Telephoto and less a wide angle. You can get a lens that covers 20 - 80, bu the general school of the thought is that this would be inferior to two separate lenses.

By having two cameras, one can be a locked wide angle, the other used to capture close ups.