Thread: how fast can camcorders autofocus?

Default how fast can camcorders autofocus?

i have to survey some landscapes with a robot, and to get as much data as fast as possible it might be possible for me to pan the camera back and forth once, perhaps even twice every second, to see simple flat scenes between 5 and 10 meters away.

would it be crazy to ask a camcorder to do that? are there any autofocus ratings/specifications that can say how fast a camera can adapt to fast changing scenes?

All you would see is a blur using a camcorder like that.

Just find one, and there are many, where you can lock the focus and exposure. That way if anything crosses the line of sight it won't pull the focus away and the exposure will stay constant even if the clouds come over.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Not if it's panning around at "twice every second".

I missed the twice every second, just responded to the autofocus part. Yes, it would be in focus and exposed ok, but still blurred cause of the fast movement. Why the stupendously fast panning?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

i want to see if i can use a camcorder like a fast still camera to scan some landscapes and to get data for a science project. i thought that with maximum levels of light, the exposure times would be good so all the frames would be clear in moving scenes.

Blog Entries

Are you sure that you'll be panning constantly, for example a sweep of over 45 degrees twice in a second? As the others have said, forget exposure etc, the detail will be lost in movement. If it were a slow pan over a short lateral movement, then no problem. But what you explain is likely to result in loss if detail unless you shoot a ridiculously high number of frames per second.