Thread: 'Venture to the Eiger'

Cool 'Venture to the Eiger'

Hey everybody. I'm new to the site and hope to visit it often, I don't know why I haven't found this forum earlier! I want to share a short film I made this past November after a trip to Switzerland. It was my first independently made short film which was quite a different creative process from working in a crew. I found I had to just go with my instincts with editing in terms of narrative and aesthetics, rather than the usual collaborative contemplation I am used to.

comments and critique are welcome, I'll try not to make any lame excuses

Fabuluse video. The narration really sets this video apart from others like it. Just a little to much "film burn" effect for my personal taste but it didn't stop my enjoyment of the piece.

Very well done.

Now stop jumping off cliffs and take up knitting and make an interesting video about that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Now stop jumping off cliffs and take up knitting and make an interesting video about that.
    Or, for a different challenge, try to make this one sound like a knitting video:

"Welcome to our world.
    "It's about training.
    "It's about safety checks
    "It's about preparation.
    "It's about equipment
    "It's about working to pay for the fare"

You lot are bloody mad. I pity your poor mothers.

Clearly a good film - great shots and good editing and I appreciate all that.

However, for my taste (and that's all it is):
    I didn't think there was a little too much burn effect. i thought there was far too much.
    I thougt it was unbalanced. I liked the way you varied the pace throughout, but I didn't like the way the narration came in half way through - it just felt "odd" to me, like it was two films.
    I also thought the piece was over edited. Those shots you have of people jumping off the side of the Eiger (I presume) and off towers etc are exciting enough. you don't need to sex them up with all those fast cuts. In fact it almost detracts from seeing how very impresive the jumps are. Just looked again.perhaps it's not the cutting, but the burn effect.

Very enjoyable though and very impressive.
    Tim

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've had the film burn critique by others already, so I know what you mean. I think I was a bit over-zealous trying out new toys and let it take over in cleaning up bad footage or warped twixtor or lock&load steady shot clips when I should have spent more time trying to find a cleaner solution. I was editing against the clock to submit it to a festival in time, but that's not excuse really.

It was an interesting exercise in making one of those exciting action sports music-videoesque clips you see round the internets but with the brief of making it more of a film than most. it has that variation of pace you mention Tim, that follows the energy of the track the way a music video would, but maybe as a film it suffers from being too much cut to the beats? I know what you're saying about the narration coming in late too. I chose to place it where it is because the track was the most mellow at that point and wouldn't make the narration seem as absurd as if it was laid over the white-knuckled energetic periods of the song. the way I sequenced the shots to give some kind of progression in the adventure kind of called for it to be there as well, but in retrospect would have fit more had there been another earlier voiceover to establish the fact that the piece is narrated to a degree.

what do you think?

thanks again for the comments

Blog Entries

Given the competence with which this was assembled, I half-suspected you'd considered the above and you've proved me right. It's worth discussing anyways as we can all learn from decisions made by others.
    I suspect you're right about the nrration - the very simple job of sticking a little bit in early on would, as you say, establish narration in the piece.

I still think you're bloody mad!
    Tim