Thread: newb dslr decision

1. Default newb dslr decision

Hi guys, new to the forum.

I'm looking to purchase a new camera with a budget of $700 (sorry, I don't know the conversion).

I have looked through tons of videos on youtube etc and I love the shallow field style and price range of the dslr. I will be using it primarily for music videos.

My old lady has an 18-55mm and a 55-250mm canon lenses for her canon eos rebel xsi (which doesnt take video unfortunately) so I'm leaning towards a canon.

any suggestions would be very helpful.

great site btw. thanks, jake

2. Default

Two cameras for that price range I would recommend:

The 7d and the GH2.

The GH2 is technically the "better" camera as it has more wide-ranging features and in the right hands it can produce amazing images. The 7d also can produce amazing images. Sometimes, though, the GH2 can look a bit video-y. The 7d looks more filmic, but with the right lenses, and in the right hands, anything can be achieved with either camera.

Major learning curves ahead though!

3. Default

thanks for your advice.... learning curves are nothing new to me lol.

Would I be able to use my canon lenses with the GH2?
    And the 7d is like $1500 so thats out of my price range.

I'm considering the 550 T2i. Any feedback on this camera would be appreciated.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bush league View Post
    thanks for your advice.... learning curves are nothing new to me lol.

Would I be able to use my canon lenses with the GH2?
    And the 7d is like $1500 so thats out of my price range.

I'm considering the 550 T2i. Any feedback on this camera would be appreciated.
    Hi again,

You can use Canon lenses with the GH2, or Panasonic lenses with a Canon camera - you just need adaptors. They can be picked up pretty cheaply. Just google it and make sure you pick up the right adapter.

My first camera was a T2i but I would recommend you get the t3i /600d (for around the same price, and image quality is pretty much the same). I make this recommendation for one reason only: it has a flip-out screen which is very, very handy.

The GH2 has a flip-out screen too. Definitely youtube and vimeo lots of clips for research on lenses, because where these cameras are concerned, the lenses really do help. Some of them can be pretty expensive, though.

6 months ago I knew a grand total of ZIP about dlsr. Since moving to these cameras exclusively, I have had a helluva lot of learning to do, but you pick it up as you go.

5. Default

Also remember that depending on the adapter you get you won't be able to auto-focus or change aperture on the cheaper adapters. To avoid this I always try to find older Canon FD lenses that have manual apertures.

6. Default

Also I own a T2i I think its great. But also have been using the Panasonic GH2 a lot recently and love that camera for video. And as mentioned before the mirco 4/3rd mount you can put basically anything on it with the right adapter.

The GH2 is technically the "better" camera it can produce amazing images. The panasonic GH2is as good for video. Conon EOS 1D Mark Iv I like that camera,Conon EOS 7DThat's also have a nice regulation.Do you have any idea about cheapest camera which has a good performance...