Thread: Advice On HD Footage

Default Advice On HD Footage

Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can offer me their advice on some HD footage. I create a computerized Christmas light show every year and this was my last year, thus I hired somone to create a professional video for me of it. He has sent me a "rough draft" version and I have a concern, however not sure if there is just something I don't understand. The video is in HD, however when I play it on my 42" LCD the black night sky is "spotty". It appears that it is made up of 1/2" pixels. This does not occure when I watch a HD movie and there is a black scene. I did ask the videographer and he kinda blew it off like "it's normal".

Why is this occurring and can anything be done about it.

The full file (252 MB) can be downloaded here. I've also cut a 20 sec segment from it for ease, which can be downloaded here.

Thanks for any assistance.

Ive watched the 20 second version and I see something about halfway down the screen on the right, is that what you're talking about? I'm trying to download the full version but it's taking ages, I'll get back to you once I've watched it.

Video Production Services Company UK London

I've now watched the whole version and all I can see is what I saw before which is the sort of dead pixel halfway down the screen, the rest of the sky seems fine, have you tried watching on another screen?

I've had a good look at it. Firstly great light show and a good video job. The problem may be that your TV might be a bit weak when it comes to playing back solid blacks from certain sources. On my 32" Sony LCD TV it looks perfectly fine using Windows Media player. Is you TV a 1080 or a 720 HD TV ? What did you use to play the video, the problem could be that it can't cope with the bit rate or something of that nature. It's very hard to say exactly what's going on being so remote from the equipment you have. As I say it looks perfect on my screen.

As Midnight's just reminded me, I forgot to say great light show and good video job

Thanks guys. I'm actually happy to hear that it may be my TV. It's a Samsung and plays at 720p (not sure if it plays 1080). It is relatively old, thus may be the issue. I use VLC for videos and Boxee for movies, however I can't see how either one of them would cause it.

Thanks.