Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice On What Video Editing LAPTOP To Get

Question Need Advice On What Video Editing LAPTOP To Get

I need advice on what laptop to get. One that can edit videos in 1080p and handle programs like Adobe After Effects and Sony Vegas EXTREMELY WELL.

I have the price range of 2000-3000 USD give or take.

I am also new to this forum and noticed it is a UK forum please keep in mind I am from USA, North America so I will not be able to buy over seas without it costing much and hard to reach customer service.

Thanks for the help in advance!

The i7-2960XM is currently the best processor I can see on the market (release date Sep11) It is priced at $1000 just for the processor, so good luck finding a machine that has one, you may need to custom build from a highly reputable shop with good warranties. Here's a link to the full spec.

Intel® Core

If you get that processor in a machine with dedicated 2 - 4gb of Radion or Nvidia graphics, you can't go far wrong.

If you are offered other choices use this link to compare processor qualities by their stock numbers, then you will know exactly what you are getting (and know if you are being duped by salesmen - just say to them I want a minimum of a 2670QM chip and they will run a mile if they don't know their stuff, or don't like you knowing your stuff lol).

List of Intel Core i7 microprocessors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ultimately, make sure you buy a high end processor, not a home or office version, (the Wiki link will explain the difference). And insist on dedicated graphics at least 2gb, (the HD Graphics 3000 contained on processors is not good enough for gamers or video editors).
    Last edited by Stripe; 01-05-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    The i7-2960XM is currently the best processor I can see on the market (release date Sep11) It is priced at $1000 just for the processor, so good luck finding a machine that has one, you may need to custom build from a highly reputable shop with good warranties. Here's a link to the full spec.

Intel® Core

If you get that processor in a machine with dedicated 2 - 4gb of Radion or Nvidia graphics, you can't go far wrong.

If you are offered other choices use this link to compare processor qualities by their stock numbers, then you will know exactly what you are getting (and know if you are being duped by salesmen - just say to them I want a minimum of a 2670QM chip and they will run a mile if they don't know their stuff, or don't like you knowing your stuff lol).

List of Intel Core i7 microprocessors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ultimately, make sure you buy a high end processor, not a home or office version, (the Wiki link will explain the difference). And insist on dedicated graphics at least 2gb, (the HD Graphics 3000 contained on processors is not good enough for gamers or video editors).
    Thanks for the help. I have read about those and I have also read they are coming out with new Ivy Bridge proccessors in 4 months should I wait till then?
    Also where should I get the laptop from? What website? I don't know which one is good.
    I am looking for a 17.3" in or larger laptop with that can run what I mentioned in the first post. If you could direct me to a website that's good that would be awesome. Or if you could build one and email it to me that would also be awesome.

I would firstly ask why you want a laptop - they are limited when it comes to upgrading, there have been complaints of noisy overheating fans etc, and if they break down they are garbage (pending warranty).

Do you have a reason to specificaly have a laptop for video editing? Or do you want the portability for other things such as web browsing?

If you don't have a reason to be portable with your video editor, then it's better and cheaper to have a normal PC built for that purpose. And also don't forget a large screen laptop is very expensive, it would be better to attach a larger seperate monitor to a regular 15" laptop.

If you can except a normal PC, then the world is your oyster on building a machine for your requirements and it's cheaper and expandable and fixable. Then buy a simple Acer Aspire One for your mobile internet needs for about $200.

There will always be a better chip coming, you just have to dive in when the specifications meet your needs. And use the softwares' websites to get educated on their recommended spec for running their software. If you can hit close to their highest recommendation then you've cracked it.

Well I would love the ability to be able to edit on the go because I am on the move a lot.
    Could you give me advice on two possible ways?
    1. being a desktop for editing and that desktop having good hard ware for editing. (i.e good gpu, cpu) then what laptop for the portability?
    2. being a laptop for editing on the go
    i have a 2-3 thousand USD budget.

Desktops are available everywhere at hi-spec, go to any gamers shop and they will know exactly what to build for you. The graphic capabilities and processor choices are endless. Once again choose a processor from the wiki link that is high end and also 'boxed individualy' - avoid buying a processor that the builder has bought in bulk as these tend to be inferior.

Laptops are a different story, they cannot cram the power of a desktop into a laptop, although they are trying. The best value I see right now is the Asus i7 2670QM 2.2ghz 2gbnvidiaGT540M 8gbDDR3 for just over $1000AUD. Here's a link to it for Australia, search the model number in US search, or look for similar with the i7-2960XM chip.
    ASUS K53SV-V2G-SX669V

Asus K53SV-SX669V

And here are the tech specs for your software, you exceed the adobe by a mile, and meet all the requirements for Vegas, however the bottom link will show you VGA card performances for Vegas Pro 11, it is difficult to be choosy about graphic cards in laptops, but you can ask for one of these cards in your desktop.

Tech specs | Adobe After Effects CS5.5

Vegas Pro 11 GPU acceleration

In fact your desktop could be right here (simply choose the card you want to go in this machine and you can't go wrong)

"Vegas Pro 11 was benchmarked on a very affordable Dell Studio XPS 9100 PC, featuring an Intel Core i7 960 3.2 Ghz CPU and discrete GPU cards from both AMD and NVIDIA"

Studio XPS 9100 Desktop Details | Dell
    Last edited by Stripe; 01-07-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Desktops are available everywhere at hi-spec, go to any gamers shop and they will know exactly what to build for you. The graphic capabilities and processor choices are endless. Once again choose a processor from the wiki link that is high end and also 'boxed individualy' - avoid buying a processor that the builder has bought in bulk as these tend to be inferior.

Laptops are a different story, they cannot cram the power of a desktop into a laptop, although they are trying. The best value I see right now is the Asus i7 2670QM 2.2ghz 2gbnvidiaGT540M 8gbDDR3 for just over $1000AUD. Here's a link to it for Australia, search the model number in US search, or look for similar with the i7-2960XM chip.
    ASUS K53SV-V2G-SX669V

Asus K53SV-SX669V

And here are the tech specs for your software, you exceed the adobe by a mile, and meet all the requirements for Vegas, however the bottom link will show you VGA card performances for Vegas Pro 11, it is difficult to be choosy about graphic cards in laptops, but you can ask for one of these cards in your desktop.

Tech specs | Adobe After Effects CS5.5

Vegas Pro 11 GPU acceleration

In fact your desktop could be right here (simply choose the card you want to go in this machine and you can't go wrong)

"Vegas Pro 11 was benchmarked on a very affordable Dell Studio XPS 9100 PC, featuring an Intel Core i7 960 3.2 Ghz CPU and discrete GPU cards from both AMD and NVIDIA"

Studio XPS 9100 Desktop Details | Dell
    I couldn't view the dell customize page, and we don't have computer shops where I am.
    Would it matter if I had a computer with higher specs than the program needs? Would the program run any better?
    I also want to have the option to game in the future so could I do that with the laptop or the computer and laptop? Or either or?
    Also is there any other way to contact you in the future for more assistance?

I think the Dell page uses a bit of Flash, but this is the model that VegasPro used for benchmarking
    Dell Studio XPS 9100 Desktop

I am now wondering how you have a PC that cannot handle Flash, and are you actualy making movies? How come you know of After Effects and Vegas if your current PC can't play Flash websites?

Obviously the program may run better if the specs are over the required amount.

If you have high-end video editing PC's and can't run a game, there is something strange going on - the two genres go hand in hand.

There comes a time where if you are trying to acheive something, you have to start working it out for yourself, otherwise maybe you are in the wrong game.

I enjoy a bit of gaming now and then, But I used my £500 junk system for that, Not my £1900 flagship editing system.
    If you really want to get into editing seriously, Keep your system as clean and lean as possible.

I'd suggest take a look at these guys
    ADK Video Editing offers, NLE, Video Editing Computer, Video editing computers, Video Editing Workstations, Video Editing PC, Custom Built Computers, Turnkey video computer, Digital Video Editing software, VT5, Toaster, Tricaster, Lightwave, Matrox R

I've got one of their laptop builds from a UK supplier and it really is sweet as a nut, Drop then an email with "Here is my budget, here is what I want, what can you do for me"

But anyway, The question is why are you purchasing the system and why spend so much money on it?

I spent so much cash on my system because I wanted

- Speed, For 24 hour turn arounds for projects
    - Enough grunt to be rendering a video in AE whilst chopping up a video in Premier Pro, It does that nicely
    - Turn the laptop on, Within 10 seconds I'm logged in ready to work
    - It has enough spec head-room to last as long as I would expect it to last and have future proof connections ( usb 3.0, E-sata, ect )
    - My system has to work, In order to deliver projects where I am paid £1000, I must have faster than normal render times.

If you do not want any of that, Why spend $2000? If you want a system that can handle After Effects EXTREMELY well, Starting budget $16000. ( I'm not kidding )
    After Effects eats system resources like you would not believe, And couple it with the fact the program is not the most...conducsive to using resoruces efficently,

If you really want to spend that kind of cash, here you go:
    ADK Video Editing,NLE Computers, Laptops

I'd take away the HDDs, Bump up the ram, Bump up the Processor to a 2700k and that will be your ultimate system, Built by a very good company.

But then again...I'd say you would be happier with less...

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    I enjoy a bit of gaming now and then, But I used my £500 junk system for that, Not my £1900 flagship editing system.
    If you really want to get into editing seriously, Keep your system as clean and lean as possible.

I'd suggest take a look at these guys
    ADK Video Editing offers, NLE, Video Editing Computer, Video editing computers, Video Editing Workstations, Video Editing PC, Custom Built Computers, Turnkey video computer, Digital Video Editing software, VT5, Toaster, Tricaster, Lightwave, Matrox R

I've got one of their laptop builds from a UK supplier and it really is sweet as a nut, Drop then an email with "Here is my budget, here is what I want, what can you do for me"

But anyway, The question is why are you purchasing the system and why spend so much money on it?

I spent so much cash on my system because I wanted

- Speed, For 24 hour turn arounds for projects
    - Enough grunt to be rendering a video in AE whilst chopping up a video in Premier Pro, It does that nicely
    - Turn the laptop on, Within 10 seconds I'm logged in ready to work
    - It has enough spec head-room to last as long as I would expect it to last and have future proof connections ( usb 3.0, E-sata, ect )
    - My system has to work, In order to deliver projects where I am paid £1000, I must have faster than normal render times.

If you do not want any of that, Why spend $2000? If you want a system that can handle After Effects EXTREMELY well, Starting budget $16000. ( I'm not kidding )
    After Effects eats system resources like you would not believe, And couple it with the fact the program is not the most...conducsive to using resoruces efficently,

If you really want to spend that kind of cash, here you go:
    ADK Video Editing,NLE Computers, Laptops

I'd take away the HDDs, Bump up the ram, Bump up the Processor to a 2700k and that will be your ultimate system, Built by a very good company.

But then again...I'd say you would be happier with less...
    Would you mind telling me the specs on your computer? It sounds like it has great specs for what it does.
    I need the computer for me being a heavy computer, I am working on a bunch of videos most of the time on a time frame trying to render 2-6 videos at once which takes me hours. I also am going to be majoring in a computer field sometime in the future(if that's even anywhere relevant to this conversations lol).
    Either way I really want a high-end extremely nice preforming and handling computer.
    Where would the computer that handles after effects EXTREMELY well be? I haven't seen a 16,000 dollar computer yet.
    Also is ADK in the USA?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast