Thread: New Year means new video with the Civic Si

Default New Year means new video with the Civic Si

hey there everyone, Happy new year hope everything is going well enjoy this new video.
    I seriously need to get someone to help me I have so many ideas for some rolling/moving shots but no one to help. Next video I promise there will be more movement. Trying to use the IndiSlider mini more to get better let me know how it looks!
    ***PLEASE WATCH IN 1080p HD!!!
    EP3 | civic si - YouTube
    or

Happy New Year.

I'd say your getting there, just make sure if you do a focus pull make sure you hit it or do it again.

Nice job.

Yeah I need a follow focus tool, or a better focus ring it looks a lot easier to do with them.

Blog Entries

OK. It's quite nicely put together. I liked the look you created and I agree with Midnight's comments, but I have to ask ... why? What is the purpose of this video? It's presumably not an advert so what do you want me to get out of watching it?
    This is a serious question and not meant to be snide like it sounds.
    Using Lord Reith's criteria, does it inform, educate or entertain? Or does it do something else?
    Tim

I want you to appreciate the fine body lines of the car, the rugged scenery and technical aspects of the video, along with composition and lighting of the shots. But most of all I don't care what you get out of it as long as you have some kind of thought after word, this is for fun and nothing serious. I honest hate that question and get asked it by some professors, why cant the answer simply be, the purpose of this video is because I wanted to shoot a video of a car using creative shots, camera movement, and have a good time?

Blog Entries

I'm going to say something never before said in the user video section: it needs to be longer. If it's a video for video sake (and you want us to appreciate everything you said), then you need to wow us with a range of dramatic shots, camera movements and action. As it stands, it's a short video with a limited range of shots.

As the car, as you imply, is the car, you really need to treat it like your model. Some of the shots seemed to pay too much attention to the floor - the car was just an object floating in the frame.

Where was the variety of close ups, the inside of the car, the dials, the "intimate" detail. Fir example a pair of booming speakers, or blinking hazards; twitching dials or embossed logos; dust kicked up from the tyres.

I've made plenty of videos with no purpose. Just cos I love filming and editing. A lot of that stuff just sits on my hard drive or Vimeo after editing - not really bothered if anyone ever watches it, as I make them to record my own "moments" (so that's a purpose I guess).

To summarise, you obviuosly have a passion for editing, and demonstrate a burgeoning talent. I suggest you work on those techniques, think about how to use those to draw in your viewer, and above all get out, film and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I'm going to say something never before said in the user video section: it needs to be longer. If it's a video for video sake (and you want us to appreciate everything you said), then you need to wow us with a range of dramatic shots, camera movements and action. As it stands, it's a short video with a limited range of shots.

As the car, as you imply, is the car, you really need to treat it like your model. Some of the shots seemed to pay too much attention to the floor - the car was just an object floating in the frame.

Where was the variety of close ups, the inside of the car, the dials, the "intimate" detail. Fir example a pair of booming speakers, or blinking hazards; twitching dials or embossed logos; dust kicked up from the tyres.

I've made plenty of videos with no purpose. Just cos I love filming and editing. A lot of that stuff just sits on my hard drive or Vimeo after editing - not really bothered if anyone ever watches it, as I make them to record my own "moments" (so that's a purpose I guess).

To summarise, you obviuosly have a passion for editing, and demonstrate a burgeoning talent. I suggest you work on those techniques, think about how to use those to draw in your viewer, and above all get out, film and have fun.
    Thank you, I see what you mean. Really appreciate the comment

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by weavedesigns View Post
    I want you to appreciate the fine body lines of the car, the rugged scenery and technical aspects of the video, along with composition and lighting of the shots.
    OK. Continuing Marc's analogy of a human model, if I want to appreciate the lines of a model I can look at stills or a video. With stills, I can look at them for as long as I like. With video, i am forced to watch for the duration that the director/editor decides. So the video has to give me something that the still doesn't - and that thing is movement. If I see a model moving, I can appreciate the grace, the way in which the parts move in relation to each other. Bit video shots of a model remaining static are a bit of a waste of time.

I think you appreciate this as you have stated how much you need to get the car and/or the camera moving.

Quote Originally Posted by weavedesigns View Post
    I honest hate that question and get asked it by some professors, why cant the answer simply be, the purpose of this video is because I wanted to shoot a video of a car using creative shots, camera movement, and have a good time?
    It can. Of course it can. My question was, as I think you understood, based on the assumption you want oher people to watch it - and it could potentially tick any or all of the "inform, educate or entertain" boxes. i just wondered what you thought it did. If it's for your own entertainment,that's fine - it can be antything you want. If you want others to watch it, i'd suggest that the it does need some sort of purpose - perhaps that's what your professors are getting at.
    Tim