Thread: Vegas HD 11 can't import (*.avi)

Default Vegas HD 11 can't import (*.avi)

Vegas HD 11 will not import any (*.avi) file. I'm reading that this is a pretty common problem. Is this a codec issue?

If so, are there some known codec packages that I could download? I also heard that there is an option within Vegas where you can tell it to use "3rd party codecs" to fix the problem, but I can't seem to find that option anywhere....Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks for any help.

The sort of .avi needs to be determined. If you use Gspot to see what codec is needed for the video file.

Woking, Surrey, England

And beware of installing codec packages as there have been far too many reports of these screwing things up elsewhere on the PC.

Here is a screenshot of what Gspot is showing me for these particular *.avi:

It looks like it's telling me that I have the correct codec....? I started looking for the "h264" codec anyways, but holy cow, a Google search turned up so many websites and options out there for codecs....I have no idea which to trust.

To give you an idea of the video that I am trying to use, here is a link to some of the culprits:
    electricsheep-flock-244-55000-7 : Scott Draves and the Electric Sheep : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

They are just small 5 second long clips. They are free to download if you want to test them yourself in Gspot and/or Vegas.

Two people seemed to have a similar problem, and were discussing the problem here (with one of them who seems to have the answer along with a link to some codec downloads):
    Internet Archive Forums: cannot import electricsheep cinepack adobe premiere pro

This is driving me nuts because I don't want to have to convert all these files. I have like a thousand of them, plus, all conversion that I've done on a handful so far has made them look like crap...
    Last edited by Syle; 01-05-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Have you got a recent version of Quicktime installed on your computer.

Yes, I do.

In that case I'm sorry I don't know why it won't play. If Gspot says you have the codec it could be an old version but I doubt that's the problem. I'm not a codec expert (who is) As a work around for this prolem download the .mp4 version of the file. It plays on my version of Vegas.

Sorry I can't be any more help.