Thread: MPEG - still an issue?

1. Default MPEG - still an issue?

Hey folks and a Happy New Year!...

Its been a while since ive been on here as i havent made any films for over a year due to my camera breakin, laziness etc!

Anyways.....is it still such a problem editing MPEG video on the timeline in Vegas??? Ive had a Google around but cant find a definitive answer.

I want to buy a dirt cheap camcorder (sub 100) just to mess around on until i can afford a decent one, at least ill be doing something rather than nothing right? So i was going to buy one of these SD card models since you dont need to capture and i dont currently have a firewire card. I hear the speed of you computer can be an issue (not sure if thats correct) so my spec is as follows:

Core i5 2500k
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia Ge Force GTX 550 Ti

Thanks in advance!

PS. Ill get a cheapo miniDV cam and Firewire if it will save any hassle i might get in editing!

It's not the best spec for HD editing but it should get you by. You can always reduce the preview quality if Vegas is struggling but it should be ok to edit mpeg. Remember a camera for a 100 is that cheap for a reason. I suppose any camera is better than no camera.

Good luck.

3. Default

So Vegas can definitely edit MPEG without issues?

I hear what your saying about the camera, id get a HV40 if i had the cash, plus im not focusing on image quality right now, more experimenting with style, edit etc.

Theres a Canon MV series Mini DV on the net for 50.00. I think ill get that and a firewire card. At least i know it'll work without a problem

Didn't catch is yr Vegas is Pro, or Studio
    Cheap Camcorder:
    - Kodak mini is 19 - Currys (UK). ..... it's waterproof and SD/SDHC (micro) with Audio (?Mono?) it records in VGA and has no optical zoom. . . . but it might find some unexplained uses.

. . . . Isn't there a "min-spec" on Sony website? As long as you're well above that, things should be OK.
    +Just slip the SDHC card into the PC - works for me. Dual Core 4G RAM - VS v10.

HNY too.