Thread: Sony Titles and Text - anyone use it? If so why?

Blog Entries

Default Sony Titles and Text - anyone use it? If so why?

I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the new Sony Titles & Text generated media.

There are two things it does which could be an advantage - positioning text on the preview window and animations.
    The former is potentially useful, but having years of experience of moving the text in the "placement" tab whilst watching in the preview Window, this is hardly a breakthrough for me.
    The animations might have ther uses, but the ability to fine tune them is non-existant. Unless I'm missing something you can't change the amount of animation nor the timing.

But the deal breaker must be that you can't move the text off the display area. this is how i have always done my credit rolls. It also means you can't slide text into the screen and out like you might wish to do for lower thirds unl;ess you make use of track motion.

This just seems a step backwards.

Does anyone find any advantage of this over the (Legacy) Text?
    Tim

Like I said in the other thread I still use version 10. I think this is a big error from Sony. The simple text wasn't broke so why try and fix it. I've never used the legacy text as there are more options on the other text.

Blog Entries

Ahhah. "(Legacy) Text" in version 11 is what was "Simple Text" in version 10.
    What was "(Legacy Plug-in) Text" and ""(Legacy Plug-in) Video FactoryText" in version 10 are no longer in 11.

Probably because we now have "(Legacy) Text", "Sony Titles and Text", "Pro Type Titler" and "New Blue Titler Pro"
    I'll be using the "(Legacy) Text" mostly though and I suspect most others will, unless they're creating titles for game shows or adverts.
    Tim

Can the New Blue Titler Pro do proper 3D text which is what is needed in Vegas ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Can the New Blue Titler Pro do proper 3D text which is what is needed in Vegas ?
    Yes indeed. It's nice to have it built in rather than use an external 3D titler like Bluff. It's not quite as flexible a Bluff - no particles for example, and neither can you use it to import other 3D objects.

Also, you neeed to bear in mind that it is not a Sony product and doesn't work in quite the same way - for example double-clicking on any parameter does not set it back to zero or the default and I find entering precise numbers more fiddly.

I haven't used it in earnest yet and the discussion last night prompted me to open up the help file and start working through it, so I've not a lot to report yet. One "bug" I have found is that with my two screen setup, if I want to use the colour picker tool (which only works within the edit window, so it's not that useful) a second copy of the edit window pops up on my second screen and I HAVE to select a colour from within that. Wierd!
    Tim

Apart from the New Blue text is there any advantage of v11 over v10. I read it handled rendering faster is that true.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Apart from the New Blue text is there any advantage of v11 over v10. I read it handled rendering faster is that true.
    I haven't really noticed (a) because I always go away and do something else while rendering and (b) as I'm still firmly in standard def land (with occasional AVCHD footage from others) I don't really have a problem with it and (c) I'm still impressed by how much quicker my i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz system renders anyway! It s also meant to be better at preview and certainly I seem to get smoother previews at higher resolutions/more FX.

I do have a CUDA card, but I'm not sure it's one of those listed by Sony anyway. It wasn't important enough to me to spend more than £100 on a graphics card. On the other hand I have a friend who spent a fortune on one of the supported cards. With both builds of version 11 (64bit) this has caused numerous crashes and he's apparently not unique in experiencing this. He is therefore running with GPU turned off for stability. Not a happy bunny.
    Tim

The 64bit SV10 is much faster with Cuda and so is 11, but the other thing to note is the Stabilise is not as good and more awkward to use.

The titles also do not allow a freeze (or stop) once it has started it works its way through to the end, the only way to make it stop is to use the Velocity envelop, apart from that not taken 11 on fully yet, still happy with 10.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    The titles also do not allow a freeze (or stop) once it has started it works its way through to the end,
    Are you talking about the Animations in the new Sony Titles and Text? If so, I'm sure you're right. But you can animate the position with keyframes, rather tha use the built in animations. (As you could with the old titler)
    Tim