Thread: I love I do presents: the psychotic McEnroe Fan and The Toilet Man

Default I love I do presents: the psychotic McEnroe Fan and The Toilet Man

Hi,

Here are two clips I made for firends:

SCREAM: A McEnroe's fan discovers that his lover is secretely in love with Bjorn Borg...

I love I do - Scream - YouTube

KATY: Another love story that goes wrong with funny stuff on the back if the main story bores you...

[link removed - please re-post in a new thread]

Yeah, I Noted that this forum is used for critical assessment of posted material.
    By posting my work here I agree to have my work subject to constructive critism.
    I'm not easily offended, so go ahead
    Last edited by TimStannard; 12-28-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Yeah, I Noted that this forum is used for critical assessment of posted material.
    By posting my work here I agree to have my work subject to constructive critism.
    I'm not easily offended, so go ahead
    Well done for noticing this however you missed the bit were it said one video per thread.

I'll take the first one, Scream. On the filming side it's good that you had steady shot and varied shots. However a lot of these are over exposed and also looking at the skin tone the colour is off, too red. These may be something to do with the effect you have put on it.

It had some funny moments (Teddy on the toilet) BUT generally this type of Mr Bean humour doesn't really appeal to me but I can see how some people may find this sort of thing very funny.

I think you have go a creative mind and if you can channle it in the right direction you could make some funny videos.

Blog Entries

The overexposure (or was it glow added in post) really made it quite difficult to look at at times. A real mix of shots - some rather poor (mainly due to te exposure issue) but some very good - I particularly liked the run up to the net cut to the slo-mo shot of jumping the net.
    Overall I didnt think it quite had enough variety for the length of the video - rarely is a film not improved by shortening - for example the sequence showing teddy being punnished went on far too long: sure there was a variety of different ways of torturing the poor thing, and none went on too long, but they were all basically just variations on a theme maiking the whole section seem rather long and repetitive. I suspect this was due to trying to edit it to match the music. it might have been better to edit the music.

But a very worthwhile effort.
    Tim

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate when poeple takes time to argument.

I mainly agree with you, especially about the over-exposure. We worked on post-production in order to make differents images with different exposures fit togethrt. For example it was sunny when we started shooting the tennis scene, then it got cloudy and the in rained...

Also my point was to make the beginning look like a 70's erotic scene with a lot of over-exposed white and then cut it with the second part with dark colours reminding scenes in movies such as hostel. I wanted this clip to look like two very different movies because the music is like that and I had to follow the band's ideas.

I wrote down your comments for my next attempts, I also want to use another camera cause that one was rather poor, especially when trying to make zooms.

If you have other comments, feel free to express them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shadowshadock View Post
    especially when trying to make zooms.
    That doesn't matter. You don't want them. Nothing looks amateur more than zooms.
    Next time you watch a film or TV, look specifically for zooms - almost certainly you won't see any. You will see lots of moving camera, but that's a different thing.

There are one or two reasons to legitimately use a zoom, but they are few and far between. One is if you are showing a closeup of, for example, a man climing a rock-face and you want then to show have high up he is, a quick zoom out might be very effective, but generally straight cuts between close-up detail and wide angle are more effective.
    Tim

I didn't use the good words, I wasn't talking about zooms, cause I agree with you about this point, I have made only one zoom which is on the tatoo and I think it looks good.

In fact I wanted to say that I had to re-size images. For example in the tennis court cause it rained during the shot so we couldn't mix images with a wet and dry floor (that's the case when making exercice at the beginning, I shot it on a large plan but as we saw that the floor was dry I had to resize the plan and it lost sharpness. Anyway, that kind of incidents teach a lot...