Thread: Problems editing video from a DVD with a huge 87.1GB on the disk?

1. Default Problems editing video from a DVD with a huge 87.1GB on the disk?

Hi, hope someone can help?

I'm using AVS4you vid converter to convert various types of video to MPEG so that i can then use AVS editor to put together a single video to upload to a website.
    My daughter is a dancer and these are videos of her performances which she needs clips of to upload for her "Show Reel" .

So far I have managed with most of the raw video from various devices (ipod & DVD) I've used the converter and stored in a folder as MPEG (not entirely sure if this was exactly the right thing to do but my intention was to then edit the MPEGs and produce to another format to upload to the website). However I've come unstuck with the last bit of video on a DVD which just wont import to the converter. I've tried copying the dvd using the AVS video copy software but it says that the input files are too large (87.1GB)

I'm a bit confused because i thought that a standard dvd disc can only hold around 5GB of data?

When I look in "Computer" it says:
    DVDRW Drive (D) 0 bytes free of 906 MB

When I "open" it there is a file called "VIDEO_TS" which when i hover over it with the mouse says it's size is 87.1GB ????
    Inside the folder are:
    VIDEO_TS.BUP 86KB
    VIDEO_TS.IFO 86KB
    VIDEO_TS.VOB 10KB
    VTS_01_0.BUP 28KB
    VTS_01_0.IFO 28KB
    VTS_01_0.VOB 10KB
    VTS_01_1.VOB 923,374KB
    VTS_02_0.BUP 28KB
    VTS_02_0.IFO 28KB
    VTS_02_0.VOB 10KB
    VTS_02_1.VOB 923,374KB
    VTS_03_0.BUP 28KB
    VTS_03_0.IFO 28KB
    VTS_03_0.VOB 10KB
    VTS_03_1.VOB 923,374KB
    VTS_04_0.BUP 28KB
    VTS_04_0.IFO 28KB
    VTS_04_0.VOB 10KB
    VTS_04_1.VOB 923,374KB.............and so on with a total of (399) files.

Is the disk corrupt? It plays ok on the PC using WMPlayer...

Thanks

Steve

Blog Entries

My guess is that the large VOB "files" actually all point to the same physical file on the DVD. This would fit with the "files" all being identical in length and the total size of the data on the volume being 906MB. The "minor" files no doubt point to the start and end of each chapter/menu item - I'm guessing the DVD has a large menu.
    In order to copy it, you might be able to copy just "one" of the large VOB files to your hard drive and then try using your converter on that (maybe rename it with an mpg extension first)
    Tim

3. Default

Tim

Thanks for the reply and suggestion...

I have copied the first large vob file and am trying to paste it to a folder I've put on my desktop.

It says:

Copying 1 item (901 MB)
    Name: VTS_01_1.VOB
    To: Desktop Folder
    Time Remaining: About 3 Minutes
    Items Remaining: 1 (899 MB)
    Speed 12.7 KB/second

It's been like that for 30 minutes and the progress bar hasn't moved????

You are right that a normal DVD only holds about 4.7Gb of data, there is a dual layer disk that can hold aprox twice that. If you do what Tim suggests and see if Windows tells you the length of the video, then you will know if you need to copy all the vob files or if you do in fact have the whole video.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wyerstuff View Post
    It's been like that for 30 minutes and the progress bar hasn't moved????
    I venture to suggest that this is some sort of copy protection. Are you entitled to copy this?
    Tim

6. Default

Maybe not then?? although it's a recording of a dancing event held every year, the one i'm having problems with is the 2010 disc, the 2011 recording copies fine. Is there any way of checking if it is copy protected?

The large vob file just would not copy.

The video plays fine when I insert the disk into the drive, It is actually 19 minutes long which I would imagine equates to the 900MB. Trying to figure out why all of those VTS_ files seem to have duplicated around 100 times which seem to show up as 87.1GB when trying to Import/convert the disc data??

Perhaps you are right Tim. Is that a copy protection technique,,,to duplicate the files so that it reads as too big to copy???

Frustrating...this is the one bit of video that she really wanted on the Show Reel.

Thanks...

Blog Entries

Maybe you could try contacting whoever produced the DVD - they might even be able to provide you with the source footage.
    Tim

8. Default

Yes, I think that's my only hope....

Thanks for your time Tim

TimStannard's idea is good as you might be lucky and find there's some footage that didn't make it into the Final.

The snag might be they will offer to create the showreel and that could be expensive - alternatively do you know any other parents who might have filmed the event - alternative viewpoint.