Thread: Pinnacle Studio 15 NO DV/AVI import fuction.

Unhappy Pinnacle Studio 15 NO DV/AVI import fuction.

Pinnacle Studio 15 ultimate collection does not have import HDV/DV/AVI as in PS14. What you may think. Yes I have loeaded this program 3 times- followed the faqs and a PS 15 tutorial that shows using import DV. BUT alas I do not have this function at all. This is baffling. On Import section on Presets I only an offered mpeg2 ES and PCM. There are no other choices on the drop downs tab at all. Even more frustrating when the curser is over Mpeg 2 ES-you get "Choose the type of vidoe compression you desire DV gives quality while Mpeg 2 takes up less space etc.." The pinnacle Faq's have no info and their replies are just useless standard links. I am now wondering if this is covered up by their statement of a new all in one interface. e.g, The so called Mpeg 2 ES is a conversion to file based capture of similiar quality. I hope this is not right. Yet the Pinnacle studio 15 tutorial clearly uses DV option for quality/ importing. Unless it is actually a PS14 tutorial they are using thinking we are stupid.. I have used the other method ie Mpeg 2 ES & 25mbps AS IS THE ONLY OPTION I'm Given. Preferences are set to 1080i/25/50hz PAL. All my Canon HV40 footage is taken in 25fps/cin mode. And I have tried other preferences to see if the missing DV/AVI appears to no avail..

I have always used pinnacle and its many problems/ Zero lack of patches etc.. -but happy with results and the easy user interface is their strong point. But reading other programs they are not faultless so have stayed with them . But the above problem takes the biscuit. I am hoping someone could tell me if Im doing something stupid. I want to capture with the least loss of quality - I have burned a few dvd's with transitions/music and am not happy with the quality output on my 1080p tv -Its definately degraded although plays fine. I realised I have no DV option at all. Import does pick up my camcorder i.e Canon HDV -BUT there is no room to see MODEL i.e HDV 40 on the limited character field which is also odd -no user interface to extend this. So I assume it knows HDV 40. and not my old HDV 20.
    So the above is just exaclty what I am doing wrong if anything as I have imported many times from P9 up. I don't want my HDV tape footage to be ? converted to the newer file based compression AVCHD.Thats why I still bought a 2nd tape based canon hdv 40 cam. I pefer to squeeze as much 100% quality on a normal 4.7gig DVD, tried dual DVD but more probs. Until blue ray is the norm and media is cheaper. I also do not have AVI import option on import ? Whats going on in my PS15 Ultimate collection- Its also very annoying I can not transfer old content as I threw away all my old software thinking it was obsolete-Despite buying full versions of ultimate collections PS14 and now PS15 You have to have the old versions installed. ie 10 or 11. to transfer old content despite the fact I kept the content discs. how stupid is that.
    Sorry this post is long. Any help answers appreciated
    Last edited by Robo; 12-30-2011 at 05:47 PM.