Thread: Santa Stole My Girlfriend Music Video

Default Santa Stole My Girlfriend Music Video

First time using a Dslr. Please give suggestions or improvements. Thanks!
    Between The Two Of Us- Santa Stole My Girlfriend Cover - YouTube

Blog Entries

Hi Guys. I'm telling you this without watering it down as it seems you're sincere in wanting to know how to improve.

Mucking around with focus is all very trendy, but you really could do with learning how to use it properly.

The shallow depth of field available with DSLRs is primarily useful to bring into sharp focus the part of the video that you want people to see and throw the rest out of focus - it helps separate the dubject from its environment.

Before we ge into rack focus we must appreciate that. As a starter, it would normally be used to put your foreground subject into focus and take any background stuff out of focus, thus concentrating the viewers attention on the subject.

Here's your first problem. Your backgriund is extremely cluttered. What's more, it's cluttered with stuff which is nothing to do with the musicians. You have a nice rack of guitars there, and some drums - whilst this would still be cluttered, they would make for a much more interesting and appropriate background.

If you used shallow depth of field to concentrate only on the musos, this wouldn't be ideal, but you make matters worse here. The deliberate out of focus shot is generally used to create an air of mystery or anticipation and as you begin to focus on the sabject, this acts almost like a reveal shot. However, because fo the cluttered background whilst you are focusing, different aspects of the bacground come into focus and this both draws attenton to the items in the background (again - this is possibly desirable, if they are appropriate to the video) and (b) creates confusion in the viewers mind as to what he is meant to be focusing on.

The first shot proper when the song begins, starts with an out of foocus shot of the guitar which gets pulled into focus, then immediately changes. This is very frustrating for the viewer: if he's kept with the shot he should be rewarded with the resultant shot being in focus for at least half a second or so. To make matters worse, the following shot is out of focus for its duration.

You then have a lovely close-up of a mic (although I'm dubious of the placement of the mic with it's top cut off) which perfectly demonstrates how shallow DoF should be used as I've described above. The mic simply "pops" out from the background.

The next shot (three shot) starts broadly in focus then flicks out of focus for a split second before going back into focus and then intentionally being defocussed again.

Do you see a theme developing here? By all means use shallow DoF and rack focus to add extra dimensions to your video but they must be done with as much thought as any other element - like each shot, each shift of focus should have motivation. It also has to be done well otherwise it appears as a distraction.

The other thing which I think detracts from the video is that you have quite a number of zooms in there. Possibly a useful tool in the right sort of video, but a trademark of the amateur. Here it definitely looks amateur as the zooms are often jerky - we get a bit of a zoom then it stops then a bit more. This may have been an intentional attempts at being "arty", but it came across as uncontrolled.

It's far from all bad news though. I thought you had a good selection of shots, wide (or as wide as you could get in that environment), mid, close-up and a good variety of angles. Some nice cutaway shots, not relying on just the faces and hands upon the instruments. I thought the pace of the video suited the music very well. You had clearly put quite a lot of thought and effort into this video. I suspect the location wasn't your first choice (or if it was, I'd venture it was a bad choice) and you had to make do with what you could get away with.

Hope that's of some use.
    Tim

The exposure was about right and some of the framing wasn't too bad. That's about all I can say on the positive side. Points to look at improving are keeping the camera in focus, in my view nothing says amateur more than the focus searching around, learn the difference between this and a focus pull. Not having so much wobble of the camera, this is another thing that can be improved with out much effort. If the camera is going to make a movement make do it for a reason, make it a deliberate starting point and end point.

Zooming in and out is another thing that isn't supposed to be done without a purpose. For example the nice shot of the feet tapping that was good but then you started to zoom in for no reason.

I won't go on any more, I think your have enough to get you started on a better video the next time you have a go.

There are some moments that I really like but they are moments. As above the focus is out when you want in to be in otherwise your drawing attention to the wrong part of the frame. Saying this if this is your first time using a dslr I am envious. You have a good grasp of how to frame your subjects and and the baring the depth of field the picture look good.

Enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Hi Guys. I'm telling you this without watering it down as it seems you're sincere in wanting to know how to improve.

Mucking around with focus is all very trendy, but you really could do with learning how to use it properly.

The shallow depth of field available with DSLRs is primarily useful to bring into sharp focus the part of the video that you want people to see and throw the rest out of focus - it helps separate the dubject from its environment.

Before we ge into rack focus we must appreciate that. As a starter, it would normally be used to put your foreground subject into focus and take any background stuff out of focus, thus concentrating the viewers attention on the subject.

Here's your first problem. Your backgriund is extremely cluttered. What's more, it's cluttered with stuff which is nothing to do with the musicians. You have a nice rack of guitars there, and some drums - whilst this would still be cluttered, they would make for a much more interesting and appropriate background.

If you used shallow depth of field to concentrate only on the musos, this wouldn't be ideal, but you make matters worse here. The deliberate out of focus shot is generally used to create an air of mystery or anticipation and as you begin to focus on the sabject, this acts almost like a reveal shot. However, because fo the cluttered background whilst you are focusing, different aspects of the bacground come into focus and this both draws attenton to the items in the background (again - this is possibly desirable, if they are appropriate to the video) and (b) creates confusion in the viewers mind as to what he is meant to be focusing on.

The first shot proper when the song begins, starts with an out of foocus shot of the guitar which gets pulled into focus, then immediately changes. This is very frustrating for the viewer: if he's kept with the shot he should be rewarded with the resultant shot being in focus for at least half a second or so. To make matters worse, the following shot is out of focus for its duration.

You then have a lovely close-up of a mic (although I'm dubious of the placement of the mic with it's top cut off) which perfectly demonstrates how shallow DoF should be used as I've described above. The mic simply "pops" out from the background.

The next shot (three shot) starts broadly in focus then flicks out of focus for a split second before going back into focus and then intentionally being defocussed again.

Do you see a theme developing here? By all means use shallow DoF and rack focus to add extra dimensions to your video but they must be done with as much thought as any other element - like each shot, each shift of focus should have motivation. It also has to be done well otherwise it appears as a distraction.

The other thing which I think detracts from the video is that you have quite a number of zooms in there. Possibly a useful tool in the right sort of video, but a trademark of the amateur. Here it definitely looks amateur as the zooms are often jerky - we get a bit of a zoom then it stops then a bit more. This may have been an intentional attempts at being "arty", but it came across as uncontrolled.

It's far from all bad news though. I thought you had a good selection of shots, wide (or as wide as you could get in that environment), mid, close-up and a good variety of angles. Some nice cutaway shots, not relying on just the faces and hands upon the instruments. I thought the pace of the video suited the music very well. You had clearly put quite a lot of thought and effort into this video. I suspect the location wasn't your first choice (or if it was, I'd venture it was a bad choice) and you had to make do with what you could get away with.

Hope that's of some use.
    Thank you very much for the crtique, honestly! I am doing another shoot for them soon and I will use some of the techniques you mentioned and Ill post that video on here too. Thank you again!

Yeah I usually use a Panasonic Hmc40 and a canon 550D is so much different than that. Thank you for the critique!

Thank you very much. I will post my next video on here and we'll see if I have improved. Thanks!