Thread: Art V Technique music video

Question Art V Technique music video

A while ago I started a thread asking if an 'arty' film or music video can escape the necessity to be technically competent. Here is my attempt at 'getting away with it'.

I am self learning, my ultimate goal is to create a movie with soundtrack, akin to Pink Floyd The Wall. My potential film is sketch written and the score is ready. I'm a total beginner at film making, I have always created music. I currently have a very shoddy camera and shareware video editors. I will now buy the correct gear because I have progressed well, stuck at the task and enjoy it.

Previously I created a test music video which wasn't too difficult, now I have created a bridge between a music video and a film, in that the video contains drama and storyline that is attempting to grip the viewer more as a film does than a music video does. To compound this learning, I did it completely on my own in only a spare bedroom with no pre planning - I wrote the song, the film and the story in improvised fashion.

I would appreciate everyone and anyones critiques, however please be aware that I realise the technical film making aspects are pretty much totally absent here, (that learning will be done when I get the real gear), so it would be fairly meaningless to tell me that. What I want to know is if the timeline is drama enough to maintain interest, and if the story comes across. (There is an explaination of the concept below the video).

My future film will rely heavily on symbolism,and meaningful parallels involving micro/macrocosm etc (otherwise known as arty lol). This experiment is a dip into that realm. Thanks.

Stripé - It's Over - YouTube

I thought on the whole it was a reasonable effort. It was full interesting deep and meaningful imagery. Not quite enough beards to make it a real art piece but never mind.

If you have a music video showing instruments playing it's very important that they are shown in time with the music like you did with the keyboards BUT the drums & the bass didn't work.

Some other things that didn't but could was for example the zooming in on the eye at the beginning. If you put some blur on this gradually with key frames it would work better or perhaps make the fade into the other shot a lot longer. I'm not sure which would work best. Another example was the end shot with the gun, I did kind of like the reveal from the close up of the eyes to show the gun to the head BUT what may have been better is, lying down and sitting up but shot in reverse to give it a slight uneasy feel. These are just personal opinions.

You've got a great Iggy Pop look and that face was made for a piece like this. One tip I would give you is to see if you can get a friend to help you with the shoots like this as it's very difficult being in front and behind the camera at the same time, having an assistant would give you so much help.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

I liked it. A very retro feel both in the music and the images. Of course showing knobs being twiddled on an analogue synth is bound to make it oook "of an era". The look and the sound matched very well.

I agree with Midnight about if you're showing instruments playing, the video should match the audio - except that in certain cases (and this piece would be an idea example) if it's used for illustrative purposes rather than as a performance music video it can work - but what we see has to be vastly different from what we hear and obviously intentional. Think back to 70's rock footage where clearly they didn't have the required shot and therefore threw the footage into slo-mo, often accompanied by a heavy tint or glow.

I liked the change from blue to red and loved the final shot. I quite like Midnight's idea of filming it in reverse, but appreciate that performing a sit-up without a curl whilst holding a gun to our head is likely to cause serious back damage!
    Tim

Thanks for comments

The sync thing is fine on my original and when youtube has fully loaded the clip (or at least it's better). I think I got in a mess with frame rates as I used 3 pieces of software to create the movie and did so many patch-ups and played with the rendering etc. In fact at one point the render caused the PC to play it fine, but when passed through to my TV it was a nearly 2 seconds out of sync! I guess when I get the good gear I can ensure I stay in the one environment.

Your point about the last shot teaches me that however much you look at something, there's always a simple thing like that to change the feel of a scene, a subtle change can go a long way.

for one horrifying moment i thought you'd put a hammer through the Juno G i was relieved to see it was just some random keyboard you were smashing up

Lol enc, that random keyboard cost me 100quid a long time ago, an early controller keyboard for my cubase.

Glad you noted the Juno-G - now that is heaven on a stick never to be smashed