Thread: HD filming to DVD for viewing

Default HD filming to DVD for viewing

I have just bought a Panasonic HD video camera (Model HDC-SD41) and I notice for filming it has three settings all "1920", normal, high quality and maximum quality. My question is this, I shall still be editing in Vegas Studio 11 for rendering to a standard DVD for play back through my DVD player to my TV (which is HD ready), this until funds permit upgrading to a BlueRay recorder/player. In the circumstances is there any real advantage in filming in anything other than the "normal" camera setting?

Blog Entries

The settings are likely differences in the bit rate used to record the video. The higher the bitrate, the more data can be processed. So that means in scenes of lots of movement, the quality will be better at higher bitrates (there's more information that needs to be processed). This, in turn means that downconvertin to SD will maintain any loss in quality. That's the pseudo technical explanation.

In reality, you're unlikely to notice a difference unless you're filming fast moving objects, or yo have a penchant for spinning the camera around. Any block noise will also be mitageted by the downconvert. This is based on my personal experience of using the lowest quality settings on a Panasonic (when I had 3gb of memory space to last a weekend)

Blog Entries

Only thing I'd add to Marc's explanation is that with an eye to the future, if you are going to want to watch your material in HD then you'll need to film in HD now, and downconvert for now. Preserving the original projects and files will allow (when the time is right) you to re render out in full HD.

Blog Entries

Good point Andy. I'm glad I did this for a few of my projects before my laptop could handle HD.

Thanks to you both for the advice I shall now record in HD ready for the future.