Thread: No video track in Vegas 8.0?

Unhappy No video track in Vegas 8.0?

Whenever I try to put a clip into Vegas, it looks like this:

See how it's not adding anything to the video track? The raw clip has video, but Vegas isn't showing it. Also, when I start Vegas, it doesn't even have a video track to begin with. I have to right click and Add Video Track. I don't understand this at all.
    I'm running Vegas 8.0 on Windows 7 32-Bit.

Blog Entries

What is the format of the video you're trying to import? (incidentally, when you drag a clip into the work space it adds a video and audio track automatically as long as the format is recognised)

Quite often this is a codec issue. ie not having the right codec for the footage your trying to use. I would check that first use Gspot to see what the codec is (if you don't know) and see if it's loaded on your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    What is the format of the video you're trying to import? (incidentally, when you drag a clip into the work space it adds a video and audio track automatically as long as the format is recognised)
    It's an .AVI file from Fraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Quite often this is a codec issue. ie not having the right codec for the footage your trying to use. I would check that first use Gspot to see what the codec is (if you don't know) and see if it's loaded on your system.

GSpot is very confusing to me. How can I tell what codec I need?

Once you have pointed Gspot at a video, in the top right hand corner of the Gspot screen it should say what the codec is and if it is installed on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Once you have pointed Gspot at a video, in the top right hand corner of the Gspot screen it should say what the codec is and if it is installed on your computer.
    It says the Codec is installed already :(

7. Default

I've always had problems with .avi files in Vegas, importing and rendering. I just convert it to .mp4

It sometimes saddens me of how many things Vegas can do, yet making a .AVI work is too much. I had this same problem and ended up installing at least 10 different codecs. If I were you, I would just convert it to something else. This is the reason why I no longer use .AVI files in Vegas.

Blog Entries

Please, please, please stop saying Vegas has problems with avi files. This is simply not the case. It may have problems dealing with some codecs which are stored within avi wrappers.

Vegas is a non-linear ediding program designed to edit digital video. For years the standard means of capturing digital video was on DV or Mini DV. Vegas works fine out of the box for editing avi files using these codecs. Every time. No problem.
    I have never had a problem with an avi "file". There again I have never tried to edit avi files which use codecs which are not designed for editing.
    Tim

You didn't say what the codec is. Also do you have the most up todate version is it, if it's some sort of Xvid or DivX these are not the best Vegas combinations but do work if you have the correct codec installed correctly. I wouldn't convert to .mp4 for editing it is a very compressed format. If you do have to convert try DV (big file) or if that's an issue mpeg2 or if you are using HD footage use HDV .m2t format, I find this a reasonable format for editing.

I'm not a codec expert. I only know those things I've come across.