Thread: Alternative ways to capture audio in an amateur documentary

1. Default Alternative ways to capture audio in an amateur documentary

Hello,

I intend to produce an amateur documentary and the only camcorder I have available is a “simple” JVC GZ-HM30 (JVC Everio GZ-HM30SEK Camcorder review - Trusted Reviews).

So, I am looking for alternative ways to capture audio with quality, once this cam doesn’t have input to external microphone. I indented to record audio in three different situations: (a) indoor interviews; (b) outdoor interviews; (c) general audio from external environment.

I was wondering if it is possible to capture audio through an IC recorder and to make synchronization with video through edit software (Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11). I have an Panasonic RR-US551 (Panasonic RR-US551 - US551 IC Recorder - 1 GB Storage - Overview) which has input to external microphone. The questions are:

a) Which could be the type/model of external microphone to use together this IC recorder (considering the different situations mentioned before)? It would be a reasonable solution to my capture audio with quality? Is there other one?

b) Through audio software (as Sound Forge – not professional version), is it possible to improve the audio quality (even the audio recorded from the ” JVC GZ-HM30 camcorder)?

Thanks indeed in advance,
    Cadu

Before you buy the Panasonic look at the Zoom H2. It has built in stereo microphones makes a good recording for in door use, I'm not sure if the pick up field might be a bit wide for outdoors. You can plug in an external mic. I don't know which would be best for you probably some sort of clip on mic, if you want it for interviews.

Blog Entries

I'm thinking the H1 would be good enough and the money saved could go towards a better external mic.
    Tim

4. Default

Hi. Many thanks everybody for information.
    I am intending to use a “lavalier microphone” together the recorder to make interviews. I think it would be more simple to handle and with best price (in comparison to shot gun type).
    I would appreciate further information:
    Besides the recorder and the microphone to interviews, I think I will need other microphone type to record documentary narration/locution (using my voice). In this case, I intend to plug the microphone in my laptop and record directly. So:
    Do you think this is a good way to record narration/locution?
    Do you know/recommend any microphone type to this purpose?
    Do you know if it is possible to record through Vegas Pro? Or other software (as Sound Forge) is demanded?
    All the best and my wishes of amazing ideas in 2012!!!
    Cadu

Blog Entries

You certainly can record into Vegas, but I never bother. It's so much easier to record onto my H2 then stick the SD card into the PC.
    A lavalier is great for recording one person speaking. But that's it. It works well for sound within a very close proximity and is (generally) tuned just for frequencies of teh human voice.
    You'll want something else for location sounds - your camcorder mic might be adequate, but I use mine for nothing other than syncing with sound recorded on other devices.
    Tim