Thread: DVD render mutes the sound????

Unhappy DVD render mutes the sound????

Sony movie Studio Platinum 10
    Windows 7
    Quad core 2.1GHz
    8 GB RAM

My mega movie took 8 hours to render to AVI. It plays fine. Now I want to drop in onto DVD. So i re-rendered the AVi to a MPG format. I went to play that but I can't hear any sound. I've tried 3 times. What did I do?

Blog Entries

You have almost certainly chosen the MPEG2 template "DVD Architect (Studio) Video Stream" or similar name. The clue is in the "video stream". Not immediately obvious, but this is the video only.

What you do now is render exactly the same as an AC3 (dolby) file. Give this file exactly the same name as the mpg (eg if you have created MyVideo.mpg, create MyVideo.ac3 and place it in the same folder.

Now when you insert MyVideo into DVD Architect (Studio) it will automatically pick up the associated .ac3 file.

The reason for doing it this way is it enables you to use dolby (more efficient) encoding on the sound.

Alternatively, you could use a different template in the mpeg render which does include the audio. You might use this is if you want to use something which can't handle ac3 files to burn your DVDs.
    Tim

Hi Tim, Inside Movie Studio I selected "make Movie" dropdown and selected the "Burn it to DVD or Blueray disk" option. There is no mention of a "video stream". However, I had not realized that video and audio are stored as separate files, noticed that they each have a storage option. I had changed one but not the other. It works if you put them in the same place!
    Cheers

Blog Entries

Ahhhh right. That must be a sort fo shortcut in Movie Studio which automates that which those of us with Pro (or earlier VMS versions) take a number of steps to do. At least I was able to give you a clue and I'm glad you figured it out. Surprising VMS doesn't warn you you need to store both in the same place.
    Tim