Thread: 1. Render question 2. performance problem question 3. *.avi?

Default 1. Render question 2. performance problem question 3. *.avi?

1. Rendering for YouTube: I've got some 1920x1088 47005kbps 23.97 frames/sec footage that I've spliced into a movie, and I would like to share it on YouTube. How should I go about rendering/exporting this clip to make sure it looks as good as possible for that purpose? When I render the thing at max (original settings), it comes out to 12gb, and YouTube will allow up to a 20gb file...so whatever path I choose, size will not be an issue.

2. Performance problem: I've found some really cool royalty-free VJ video effects online. Each clip is about 4 seconds long, and I have like 1,000 different clips. I plan on splicing them all together to make sort of an abstract-effects-driven montage to put up behind my band when we play on stage. But, for some reason, Vegas is bogging down quite a bit when I try to paste a few of these clips together. The native resolution of these clips is about ~720x480, 2000kbps and 25fps.

3. *.avi files? Can Vegas not work with *.avi files? Some of the aforementioned VJ clips are *.avi and Vegas "didn't have the proper codec" to import them into the Media Bay. Also, after I converted them to *.wmv, a bizarre error came up that said "These files do not have a native audio track embedded within them. Without audio, severe performance issues can occur. Vegas will give each video an audio part to help with performance,"....it wasn't worded exactly like, but it was pretty close.

Any help on these 3 issues would be greatly appreciated. I checked the manual, but these issues weren't addressed in there.

Thanks!

1. If you choose the 1080 30p .wmv template it should give you a resonable quality video for YouTube.
    2. Are you setting the correrect project properties to match the footage you are using ?
    3. .avi is what's called a wrapper which means it's like the box the software put the video in but the video could be using a number of different codecs inside the box. If you check what codec is being used in the video with a program called Gspot. It will tell you what codec was used and if you have it installed on your computer.

I haven't covered all your issues but it's a start to get you moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    1. If you choose the 1080 30p .wmv template it should give you a resonable quality video for YouTube.
    2. Are you setting the correrect project properties to match the footage you are using ?
    3. .avi is what's called a wrapper which means it's like the box the software put the video in but the video could be using a number of different codecs inside the box. If you check what codec is being used in the video with a program called Gspot. It will tell you what codec was used and if you have it installed on your computer.

I haven't covered all your issues but it's a start to get you moving.
    1. Thanks, I'll try that.
    2. I wasn't. What do I do if I have several video files of differing resolutions, bitrates, and frames per second? I just couldn't fathom why Vegas was having a tough time editing these smaller files when only the day before I was editing/cutting/rendering 1920x1088 fully HD stuff without issue.
    3. Thanks for the software recommendation. I downloaded it and then imported one of the videos in question. I processed it, and in the top right of the GSpot screen, in the "Video" section, and under the "Status" header, it is listing that the "Codecs are installed - H264". Does that mean it's recognizing the proper codec on my computer? If this helps at all, I can easily just double click the video files and they load very smoothly into VLC, and they play without issue. It's only when I try and import them into Vegas that there is an issue. Perhaps it was just my project properties that were causing issues? Also, GSpot does not recognize any Audio properties to these files at all, and after I converted these files from *.avi to *.wmv, Vegas recognized the video format, but then warned me about the "Lack of any audio information" being associated with the file, and how that may cause issues.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. I'm just getting my feet wet right now in the video editing world, but I'm really enjoying it! Vegas is a fantastically economical and powerful editor. I'm really happy that I purchased it.

PS: is there a video type that is best (best = fastest, best looking, etc) for editing and rendering within Vegas? Is Vegas able to deal with a certain type of video format better than others? Most of the stuff I am using is either *.mov, or *.wmv.

I agree Vegas is very good for the money. As for the setting on point number two. The jury is still out on this one, I've heard some people say to go for the setting of the clips you have most of but I would say to go for the same as your final render ie if it will be 720p the set you project properties to 720p. If Gspot says you have the right codec installed then it means you have the right codec installed and Vegas should work with it.

One thing it won't tell you is if you have the up to date version of it installed. I'm a bit foggy on this but I think you have to have an up to date version of Quicktime player installed so Vegas can use some of it's stuff. May be someone with more knowledge will correct me on this.

If you have mixed format, frame rates etc. on the time line Vegas can cope with it but it will be more taxing on your computer processing power. This may be why it was struggling. It's not just the same as playing a video when you put it into Vegas, it is doing much more than that.

As for the lack of audio on the clip I've never seen a warning about this and don't see why it should be an issue. It may just be a ".wmv thing", where the software "expects" an audio track but I wouldn't give it to much worry.

Can you shed any light on what 720p means? Is there a tutorial I could read that might clarify the technicalities of labels like this? It might help me better understand these issues of format conversion/frame rates/bitrate depth/etc in the future.

Snagging the newest version of Quicktime right now. Hopefully it will help.

Thanks again for the help. I'll get back to you sometime soon once I've tested out some more stuff.

Sorry, 720p is just a quick way of saying the size of 1280 x 720 and that is it shot in progressive mode as apposed to interlaced. Google these terms if you don't understand them.

The point I was making is, to set your project properties to what ever render settings you will be using when you have finished the editing. Which could be 1080p, 720p or whatever is right for you. If you are going to make a normal DVD then choose the Widescreen PAL DVD option.