Thread: Camera for skate videos

Default Camera for skate videos

Hi,

im new in this and i wanted to hear a proffessional opinion before i rush into buying myself a camcorder. I need the camera to make skate videos. I have read a bit and the 2 cameras i found are these two here from canon: Canon HV10 and Canon HV40. I dont have a lot of cash so if HV10 would do the trick wont be bad . But if it aint that good ill be patient to buy the more expensive one. If you guys could help with the choice and if there are any other suggestions ill be glad to hear them.The cash i have is arround 400$. Thanks in advance.

These are modest cameras, but I think the task isn't as simple as the question suggests.

I think you ned to assess this project and maybe provide more info, to get a helpful reply.

1),Is this indoors at a Skating Rink?
    2),What is the purpose of these vids...are they for Training, Fun, or What?
    3),Are you a skating professional, perhaps?

4),Do you have some senior position at an Ice-Rink, so you can take pictures when the rink is not busy?
    5),How close to the skaters do you need to view . . . . taking close-ups is significantly more difficult than say watching skaters drift-past.
    6),What is the available lighting, are you allowed to provide some near the camera - as this would help.

7),What experience do you have in photography, video, film Editing etc.
    ,How do you expect to view these pictures?
    9),What sort of Computer do you have (or access to?), as video put significant demands on a PC.
    It's possible to Edit on a dual-core PC with 4G RAM, running Win7.

10),What attracted you to these broadly similar models?

Sorry if that's a long list, pse refer to the numbers above if you wish.

To my mind this is the level of info you need to supply to give others (here) a "picture" of the situation . . . . .

lol man, you clearly want to ask this stuff on a skateboard website, try the forum at skatercafe (or is it skaters cafe). they have a great filming section, with experts in this stuff who know what everone's using. I'm tryingto make skatevids too, i've chosen a DSLR rather than camcorder (550d/T2i). The skatercafe guys can advise you on best camera, lens, deathlens, microphone etc for skateboarding. find out what the pros use as well. Seems like camcorders have their advantages but look on youtube at '550d footage', christ it looks lush! DSLRs are all the rage it seems although you wouldnt want to drop one while filming a line at 20mph... i gotta buy a rubber 'armour' for mine before i let anyone film with it

Smile

Well im from Bulgaria and i want to film aggressive inline skating. We are a small comunity so i want to make videos to motivate the people that are skating in our country. I myself skate pretty good and i want to show people what can be done with rollerskates because the sport is not very well known here. I will be filming outdoors. The places that im going to film at are mostly in the city like rails, ledges, benches ,drops etc. I have no proffessional expirience with such stuff but i realy want to learn. I have experimented with sony vegas 8,0 though but the videos i used were made with a digital camera so nothing serious. I have a computer that is powerful enough. I looked up the DSLR cameras but they are too expensive for me. The thing that atracted me to these camcorders was this website here Best Video Cameras for Skateboarding i saw that the HV10 is a very cheap choice if i buy it online and a lens can be attached like a fisheye for an example. I will be very thankful if someone helps a rookie out .

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    These are modest cameras, but I think the task isn't as simple as the question suggests.

I think you ned to assess this project and maybe provide more info, to get a helpful reply.

1),Is this indoors at a Skating Rink?
    2),What is the purpose of these vids...are they for Training, Fun, or What?
    3),Are you a skating professional, perhaps?

4),Do you have some senior position at an Ice-Rink, so you can take pictures when the rink is not busy?
    5),How close to the skaters do you need to view . . . . taking close-ups is significantly more difficult than say watching skaters drift-past.
    6),What is the available lighting, are you allowed to provide some near the camera - as this would help.

7),What experience do you have in photography, video, film Editing etc.
    ,How do you expect to view these pictures?
    9),What sort of Computer do you have (or access to?), as video put significant demands on a PC.
    It's possible to Edit on a dual-core PC with 4G RAM, running Win7.

10),What attracted you to these broadly similar models?

Sorry if that's a long list, pse refer to the numbers above if you wish.

To my mind this is the level of info you need to supply to give others (here) a "picture" of the situation . . . . .

well I got my 550d for 350 second hand on ebay. thats about $500 I think. Hardly anything for one of the worlds best cameras. Look on ebay for 550d/T2i/KissX4 (T2i is the american name, KissX4 is japanese. all are the same thing, japanese wil be cheaper but same quality). The image quality is so good, youtube '550d skating' and you'll see what I mean. Camcorders do have different advantages though, but I just love the images you get from DSLRs

yes this camera is a good choice but the problem is that the display screen does not move its static and i want to film also close to the ground looking up towards the skater and for this i need the screen to move .... the other option for a dslr camera is d60 which has this function but it is waaaay to expensive for me. ;]

okey ive landed on Canon Vixia HF M30 and Canon HV10, HV30, HV40... which would be the best choice ?