Thread: Black Video Preview.

Default Black Video Preview.

I cant seem to edit my videos all I can do is hear them when I click play, but no video will come out in the preview screen.

The file is . AVI

9 times out of ten this is a codec problem, where you just need to down load the right codec for video you are trying to edit. Occasionally there are some people who press the mute button on the video track and don't notice.

Care to help not sure what this codec thing is :p

I'm a newbie who switched from pinnacle.

I'll help if I can. Firstly we need to know what format the video is. I know you said it is .avi but what is inside the .avi container/wrapper is what's important. If you don't know then download a program called Gspot use this to find out what codec was used to make the file and whether you have it installed on your system. Then we will be one step closer.

I am assuming the clip does actually have video on it and it's not just audio. Where did the video come from, your camera, download from the internet ?
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 12-18-2011 at 07:16 PM.

My video came from MSI Afterburner It's software that lets you capture what your doing in your PC.

And yes it's a video with video lol.
    Gspot is saying No codec required. The codec is MJPG and it's installed.
    Last edited by crazypilot; 12-18-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Well if Gspot is saying it's installed I don't know why it's not working. What version of Vegas are you using ?

Trial.

I was going to buy it but not sure if I cant edit my thousands of .avi clips....

Is it Vegas Pro or Studio ?

I've had a look around the internet and I'm not sure if it is compatable or not with Vegas. Your could try asking MSI about what codec you might need. Another thing to try is selecting a different video format when capturing the game play.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 12-18-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Is it Vegas Pro or Studio ?

I've had a look around the internet and I'm not sure if it is compatable or not with Vegas. Your could try asking MSI about what codec you might need. Another thing to try is selecting a different video format when capturing the game play.
    Might do that. Whats a video format compatible with vegas?

There is a very long list of which motion Jpeg or mjpg is one of them but you have to have the right codec (decoding software) to be able to edit the video. If there is an mpg2 (.mpg) option this could be a safe bet or even better would be DV (.avi)

I'm sorry if I'm being vague but it's had to be specific when I'm not familiar with the software your using.