Thread: Batch Encoding

Default Batch Encoding

Hi,

I've been looking into buying a few systems running Premiere Pro 1.5 (maybe 2 if its out any time soon) and possibly an addon cards like the RT.X10/X100.

At the end of the day I'm hoping to get a few systems that'll allow me to sit down at them and edit the videos for a few hours then leave them to encode each clip to WMV overnight ready for me to work with in the morning.

Is there any combination of Premiere, addon cards or even 3rd party program that would all me to do this? As from what I can see Premiere no longer has the batch encode feature.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums

It looks like you're right and AP1.5 doesn't support batch encoding. I always use an external encoder to convert, prefering TMPGenc Xpress. I know you can framserve from AP to an encoding application, but this won't help as the you'd still have to start each encode manually.

However, DV AVI does export/render a lot quicker than WMV. You could export the videos as one long AVI, then use the batch encode combined with cut edit in something like tmpgenc xpress to produce a whole series of encodes. If your videos are on seperate timelines or in seperate projects, it would probably be quicker to export each one to DV AVI, then use an external batch encoder than exporting each video as WMV from AP.

If yo do invst in an RX100 system then ou will find that exporting as WMV (or anything else for that matter) is a realtime experience so no need to batch render it all.

Thanks of the warm welcome.

Marc, your idea does sound good but its sort of half way there. It's definitely something I'll still look into as it would help in cutting down the time I need to sit infront of the PC but I'm really looking for a complete solution. 1 program that captures, edit and batch outputs which will help minimize the complexity of the process as well as the man hours required.

Alan, correct me if I'm wrong here but 'realtime' is 1:1. So lets take a 5min of already edited video, it's then going to take 5min to process it out into a WMV. So I'd still be sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting on it encoding. The ideal solution would be batch encoding in Premiere with an RX100! Is that possible with the addon's that the RX100 give?

I'm starting to feel like I'm searching for a needle in a haystack looking for my solution. Maybe I'm also limiting my haystack a little too much here saying I wanted to use Premiere. The truth is I'd use any program if it provided an adequate solution.

OK I concede the point then.

My (realtime) renders are usually an excuse for a cup of tea I have to admit

I'm not aware of any mechanism of achieving a batch render in Premiere Pro.

Blog Entries

Might be worth moving this thread to the general area then - us adobephiles only tend to read this!

heh, sure go for it.

I'm willing to hear everyones view.

Thanks for your help.