Thread: Rabies

Default Rabies

Hey there so before you criticize me (Which i desperately need by the way) Here is what I know is wrong with the video, But am fixing right after this video.

The makeup was mediocre at best ha ha (When you see it you will know what i mean), The sound is not very strong (I am buying/asking for a external mic for christmas tee hee), The video quality is kinda off (I am buying a new hd camera in January, My current one is from 2005 ha ha). So those are the things i am aware is wrong with the movie so you don't need to tell me thanks.

So here it is:

So tell me what I need to improve on and what I should keep doing. Thanks

Blog Entries

Nothing wrong with a camera from 2005. A new HD camera isn't necessarily going to improve anything.
    Four simple things you can do (in addition to what you've said above)
    1. Lighting (this needn't be pro kit - I realise you're on a budget, just get more lights into the rooms - look at 2:43 for example. We can't even see the actor he's so dark.
    2. White balance your camera (or, fix it in post)
    3. Learn composition and teh rule of thirds. In a one-shot, don't put our subject in the centre of the shot. Watch for too much/little headroom.
    4. Make sure your tripod (good brownie points for using a tripod BTW) is level - look at the verical lines (eg doorframes) they're all over the place.

Your over the shouder shots are generally better than your other shots, but try to vary the camera height as well as the angle. This appears to be all shot from shoulder height, which means we are constantlu looking down on the actors. This puts us much more in the role of observer rather than involving us in the drama as it unfolds.
    Tim

You are aware of some of the points and Tim has coverd the main points you need to cover. Don't skimp on the sound it's as important as the visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You are aware of some of the points and Tim has coverd the main points you need to cover. Don't skimp on the sound it's as important as the visuals.
    Did i do better on the editing of dialogue? The people that help me with the movie (But leave me to do the editing... ) Said it was to fast XD ha ha. I am buying a ext. Mic in January for sure So that should help fix the sound issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Nothing wrong with a camera from 2005. A new HD camera isn't necessarily going to improve anything.
    Four simple things you can do (in addition to what you've said above)
    1. Lighting (this needn't be pro kit - I realise you're on a budget, just get more lights into the rooms - look at 2:43 for example. We can't even see the actor he's so dark.
    2. White balance your camera (or, fix it in post)
    3. Learn composition and teh rule of thirds. In a one-shot, don't put our subject in the centre of the shot. Watch for too much/little headroom.
    4. Make sure your tripod (good brownie points for using a tripod BTW) is level - look at the verical lines (eg doorframes) they're all over the place.

Your over the shouder shots are generally better than your other shots, but try to vary the camera height as well as the angle. This appears to be all shot from shoulder height, which means we are constantlu looking down on the actors. This puts us much more in the role of observer rather than involving us in the drama as it unfolds.
    Ya we were having some issues with the room being so small XD ha ha. I have heard of the rule of thirds thing before, I better look into it.

Also i am not sure how to white balance my camera XD, I'll google it if you don't respond ha ha.

Thanks tim That helps me a lot .

Depending on the camera there is either a button or menu option to white balance the camera. Just zoom in on a piece of white paper and press the button the camera then looks at what is suppose to be white and adjusts it's self like magic. If you do this correctly then when you are indoors filming things under tungsten lighting things won't look all yellow.

For things you have already filmed you can correct this in your editing program.

i thought this was quite good, the jokes were funny as was the dialogue in general. the only things i would of mentioned are what tim and midnight already have except maybe the cuts between people speaking the pauses seemed to spaced out but other than that it was quite the decent comedy sketch

Did i do better on the editing of dialogue?
    Better yes but not there yet. (see above)

I liked it, but agree with others re improvements. Not sure OP will improve things with that Xmas Mic and a boom might get in the way of the shoot - or do you expect a hot-shoe mic will fix things? . . . IMHO the sound issue is due to the size of the room ..... sounds a tad echo-ey for my liking, but it's not excessive.

+ I wonder if some soft-lights over the table wouldn't do wonders - eg a strip of 5 or 6. 25w low-energy bulbs high enough so the shadows are out of shot. If not soft enough, then arrange a light frame with muslin covering . . . . the additional lighting effect will make it appear -on screen, like you bought that new camera. As suggested, you'll need to WB.

Check out electrical safety, naturally, it's not "what you do"
    - rather, How you do it.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mattdaviestv View Post
    i thought this was quite good, the jokes were funny as was the dialogue in general. the only things i would of mentioned are what tim and midnight already have except maybe the cuts between people speaking the pauses seemed to spaced out but other than that it was quite the decent comedy sketch
    Thanks =D, I think I'm not going to let any one else edit this with me XD i had it faster but they said it was to fast ha ha. Also the real reason i am getting a new camera, Is because my camera i have no won't let me use other software to put the videos on my computer, And the one it forces me to use, Is slower then molasses ha ha. i found its actually older then 2005 XD.
    Hopefully i will get better thanks for advice.