Thread: Aspirant intending to create documentaries asking for “advice” about edition software

1. Default Aspirant intending to create documentaries asking for “advice” about edition software

Hello,

I am indenting to introduce in a methodological way the use of semi-professional documentaries in university at area of management.

So, I am looking for a semi-professional video editing software that has the features to support this kind of development, preferentially being easy-to-use.

After reading some reviews, I am considering in first moment “Corel VideoStudio X4 Ultimate” and “CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Ultra”. But I don’t have almost any knowledge about video editors to make by myself a mature evaluation/judgment. In this sense I would appreciate some support:

- Does anyone know these software?

- Are they able to offer high-features to my intending usage?

- Which one is the better? Does anyone have other software recommendation?

- Does anyone recommend webpages, video channels, tutorials, etc. about making video-documentaries?

Thanks indeed in advance,
    Cadu

My notebook configuration: Dell Vostro, Intel Corei5, 6GB RAM, Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB/128-bit.

My recommendation for you is to have a look at getting Sony Vegas Studio you can get lots of help in this forum and there are good interactive tutorials within the software. YouTube has loads of Sony Vegas tutorials not all of them brilliant but worth a look if you get stuck.

3. Default

Hello,

I have installed “Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11” and “PowerDirector 10” and I am doing some tests.

It seems Vegas, although having a tough interface, have more resources and offer more features to make movies…

Could anyone inform if Vegas is able to handle (if possible I would appreciate to know the path to achieve the features/tools as well):

a) Is it possible to attach any identification to parts of video or audio tracks, in order to identify easier these parts in a big project? For instance, attaching to tracks labels "interview 1", "interview 2" etc. and after that to search/find these labels in an easy way.

b) Is there any way to insert a strip/band with letters that is used to introduce someone? (e.g. name / profession / organization that appear when person is presented => John / Manager / Acme Inc.). The strip/band is showed just for few seconds.

c) Is there any way to insert subtitles precisely?

d) There’s a Vegas version labeled “Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Production Suite”. It seems the more difference is that Sound Forge Audio Studio software is included together. Do you know if Vegas native tools (without Sound Forge) are capable to handle audio editing in a good way?

Thanks for information,
    Cadu

If you click on the help menu and select interactive tutorials this will help you to get use to the Vegas time-line, tools etc.

Your questions:
    a. Yes, you can put the cursor on the event in the time line you want to label and press the m key, you can then label it.
    b. This is called "lower thirds" if you do a search on YouTube for "lower thirds in Vegas tutorial" there are lots of examples.
    c. Yes and no, it takes a lot of work to put subtitles on a video work through your other tasks and come back to this one.
    d. I have found the Vegas audio tools without Sound Forge to be quite good but it depends on what you want to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cadu View Post
    a) Is it possible to attach any identification to parts of video or audio tracks, in order to identify easier these parts in a big project? For instance, attaching to tracks labels "interview 1", "interview 2" etc. and after that to search/find these labels in an easy way.
    That is one use of "Markers". With the timeline cursor a point you want to identify (eg the start of an inteview), press the "M" key. This will create a numvbered marker - which you can also type a name. You can also create Regions which are similar, but mark a start and end point.

b) Is there any way to insert a strip/band with letters that is used to introduce someone? (e.g. name / profession / organization that appear when person is presented => John / Manager / Acme Inc.). The strip/band is showed just for few seconds.
    This is commonly known as a "lower third". One way of doing this in Vegas is, in the track immediately above your video, insert a generated media of solid colour or gradient, then use Pand and Crop (or trcak motion ) to resize it. On the track above that use generated media - simple text, for the text.

c) Is there any way to insert subtitles precisely?
    What problem are you having? You insert generated media / simpl;e text for the duration you want for each "sentence"
    d) There’s a Vegas version labeled “Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Production Suite”. It seems the more difference is that Sound Forge Audio Studio software is included together. Do you know if Vegas native tools (without Sound Forge) are capable to handle audio editing in a good way?
    Vegas editing audio tools are great for mixing and applying a wide range of effects. Where you might need something like Sound Forge is if you want to take an audio file and apply more specific effects, then feed the resultat file back into Vegas. For example you mightwant to use Sony Noise Reducation which is not available in Vegas (and neither is it available in Sound Forge Audio Studio come to that - thix example is for illustrative purposes only). I bought a copy of Audio studio, but personally prefer Gold Wave for the price.

Hope that helps.
    Tim

6. Default

Hi,

Thanks everybody for valuable information.
    After spending little yet – but intensive – time using Vegas Platinum, this is my choice for sure!
    The software fits everything I want to support my intent usage.
    I think a lot of reviews are getting crazy classifying Vegas Platinum worse than other very limited edition software I had opportunity to test by myself.
    And just a couple of questions to clarify a little bit more my Vegas understanding:

a) Once subtitle is created in Vegas, is there any way to export it (as “.srt” “.sub” files for instance). On the other hand, is Vegas able to import subtitles files (“.srt” “.sub”) to the project?

b) Considering the plenty of “transitions”, “effects” etc., is there any way to add/mark some of them as “favorites” to access faster later on?

Best
    Cadu

Yes you can export as .sub file If you take a look at the help for Exporting Closed Captions it will take you though the procedure. I've never done it so I can't help you with that.

When you have an FX or transition with custom settings you can simply save it. Just re-name it and click on the save button, this will then appear with the other pre-set fxs and transitions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Yes you can export as .sub file If you take a look at the help for Exporting Closed Captions it will take you though the procedure. I've never done it so I can't help you with that.
    I've a feeling this is only in Veas Pro.
    Tim

Oh.