Thread: Transferring AVCHD Video

Question Transferring AVCHD Video

Background - I am a relative newbie at video work. I use a Sony HDR-SR11 AVCHD camera, MacBook Pro and use Final Cut to edit videos.

Question - What is the best way to transfer video from the camera to my computer? I want to maintain the HD quality I am shooting in and want to store these video files as raw files on my storage device to be used later. When I called Apple for some support on this, they told me to use iMovie to do the transfer and that is what I have been doing. I then take these files and import them into Final Cut for editing. I don't know if this is the right way to transfer, store and edit videos. Is there a better way? It might be just me, but I feel like I am losing quality of the video when I use iMovie to do the transfer. Any help here is much much appreciated. I have tons of video that I want to transfer off the camera (transfer the right way). Thanks in advance.

THIS article might be of interest to you. It seems that HDD cameras are not very Mac-compatable but you are lucky that yours is. It seems that as you are importing in to iMovie it changes the file into an Apple Intermediate Codec. This is so the Mac OS can read the video file and you can edit it on your Mac Pro.

I don't see what you can do about this but I'm not a Mac user.

@Midnight Blue - Thanks for the link to the article. I love both my Sony and my Mac and I am glad they are able to play nice with each other. Yup, its that process where I see the video files in iMovie and I feel like its lost quality. It maybe just me, but it would be great to get some suggestions from this community on transferring these files. Thanks, again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Background - I am a relative newbie at video work. I use a Sony HDR-SR11 AVCHD camera, MacBook Pro and use Final Cut to edit videos.

Question - What is the best way to transfer video from the camera to my computer? I want to maintain the HD quality I am shooting in and want to store these video files as raw files on my storage device to be used later. When I called Apple for some support on this, they told me to use iMovie to do the transfer and that is what I have been doing. I then take these files and import them into Final Cut for editing. I don't know if this is the right way to transfer, store and edit videos. Is there a better way? It might be just me, but I feel like I am losing quality of the video when I use iMovie to do the transfer. Any help here is much much appreciated. I have tons of video that I want to transfer off the camera (transfer the right way). Thanks in advance.

Acoording to what you said, you actually need to convert your files to prores, which is supported by fcp, without any loss of quality. If you transfer your files with imovie, youcan not log and transfer your files to fcp. The codec of your files will be changed to AIC. It is not supported by fcp. I usually convert my files to prores and then edit the converted files with fcp. As for the converter, you can try brorsoft video converter for mac. I'm quite happy with it and it is great in performance and the quality of the converted files are brilliant. You can try the demo version and see whether it is what you actually need.